I’ve been meaning to post these No Bake Peanut Butter Bars for ages. This is a reader recipe – from the lovely Dorothy from Tennessee! I’ve made it….oh, I don’t know….maybe 15 times since she gave it to me 3 months ago? About time I shared!
I am not kidding when I say I’ve made this about 15 times in the last 3 months. Possibly more. And I’ve been asked about a dozen times for the recipe. I kept promising – “I’ll post it soon!”.
So finally. I’m posting it!
This recipe is gold. PURE gold. It’s only 5 ingredients – crackers, peanut butter, chocolate, confectionary sugar (icing sugar) and butter. That’s it. And it’s NO BAKE. Waiting for it to set is the hardest part of this recipe.
It tastes like a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup – but BETTER because you get the slight crunch from the base which is reminiscent of the base of cheesecakes (my favourite part!).
I usually approach “5 ingredient” recipes with caution. I find that many of the ones I see usually include a cheat ingredient. Like 5 ingredient chicken which includes a “bottle of your favourite barbecue sauce”. It sounds hypocritical to say that a recipe using bottled barbecue sauce is “cheating” whereas this 5 ingredient recipe is “made from scratch” even though it is made using crackers. But in my weird twisted mind, it makes perfect sense!!
This No Bake Peanut Butter Bars recipe was given to me by a reader, the lovely Dorothy from Tennessee. She makes me laugh with her cheeky comments and vivid descriptions of anecdotes from her life. Her love for cooking and trying new dishes is catching and we both agree whole heartedly that bacon makes (almost) everything better.
My kind of gal! 🙂
Dorothy said she got the recipe from Life in the Lofthouse but when I searched the site, I couldn’t find it. So I’m crediting this recipe to Dorothy. 🙂
I’ve memorised this recipe now. Make it once, and you’ll make it so often that you’ll memorise it too! – Nagi x
- 1 stick / 115g / 4 oz / ½ cup melted salted butter (or unsalted butter + ¼ tsp salt)
- 1 cup crushed Arnott's Marie crackers (11 crackers) or graham cracker crumbs (8 crackers) (Note 1)
- 1 cup confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
- ¾ cup peanut butter (smooth)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips - the melting kind (US: semi sweet) (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (smooth)
- Butter and line a 8" / 20cm square dish or pan with baking paper.
- Place the Base ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Press into the prepared pan.
- Melt the Topping ingredients (I do it in the microwave in 30 second bursts). Pour and spread over the Base.
- Refrigerate until set - about 1½ hours. Cut into 16 squares (or whatever shape you want!). Run knife under tap hot water, dry then slice.
- Best served at room temperature.
To make the crumbs, you can use a food processor. My preferred method is to pop them in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or can to bash them. Very therapeutic!
2. Make sure you use chocolate for cooking/baking, not the eating kind! And if your store sells many types of chocolate chips, get the MELTING chocolate chips (as opposed to the ones that hold their shape in cookies / muffins etc) as they melt easier and smoother. This can be made with milk or dark chocolate. I use dark - not the expensive kind with a high cocoa %, just normal dark chocolate chips.
3. This keeps very well - around 5 days in an airtight container. Because it's winter here in Sydney, I just keep it in the pantry. But if it is warm where you are, I suggest storing it in the fridge.
4. Gluten Free option: A reader reported that she used 1½ cups of gluten free pretzels for the base and it worked out great! And a friend of mine has made this with gluten free plain sweet biscuits purchased from the supermarket and said she couldn't tell the difference in the taste or texture.
Save these No Bake Peanut Butter Bars to your “Sweet Treats” Pinterest Board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest so you can see all the delicious recipes I’m pinning!
No Bake Peanut Butter Bars nutrition per serving (assuming 16 slices).