This is a classic, easy pumpkin soup that is very fast to make. And it’s made without cream – you don’t need cream to make a luscious creamy pumpkin soup!
The secret for extra flavour in pumpkin soup is to cook the pumpkin in chicken broth/stock with onion and garlic that is then pureed into the soup. It makes all the difference to the flavour!
Especially in winter, there’s nothing better than dunking crusty bread into a big bowl of creamy pumpkin soup. And there are millions and millions of recipes “out there”, so why would you consider using this one?
Well, I’m not big-headed enough to scream out “this is the BEST pumpkin soup in the world”!!! Fact is, everyone has different tastes, and different quality produce and ingredients.
Some people like to add loads and loads of cream into their pumpkin. Some people like to get real fancy and use gourmet ingredients. Some people like to add spices into pumpkin soup to give it a bit of an exotic spin.
This is just a really great classic easy pumpkin soup recipe. It’s a really creamy thick pumpkin soup with great depth of flavour, but made without cream. Because I truly believe you do not need cream to make a beautifully rich and creamy pumpkin soup.
Feel free to add cream if you want! I like to finish it off with a little drizzle. But I just don’t think it’s necessary.
The key to making a seriously delicious pumpkin soup that is so simple and without cream is to simmer the pumpkin with garlic and onion which is then pureed into the soup. It adds so much more flavour into the soup, you will be surprised!
4 steps, a bit of chopping, plop 5 ingredients into a pot, simmer until cooked, then whizz into a soup.
My easy pumpkin soup really is that easy! – Nagi x
Save this Easy Pumpkin Soup recipe to your SOUP Pinterest Board!
- 2lb/1 kg pumpkin (any), chopped into large chunks (remove skin and seeds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups / 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup / 250ml milk (see notes for vegan subs)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a saucepan and bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth. If you don't have a stick blender, use a blender - see notes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve with crusty bread.
- Variations: For a richer finish, substitute the milk with cream, but add after blending and do not bring to boil.
- Garnishes: Dollop of yoghurt, sour cream or creme fraiche goes wonderfully.
2. If you don't have a stick blender, you can use a blender BUT you must make sure that the soup is cooled slightly before blending it, otherwise you will find out the hard way that hot soup + blender = soup explosion (literally, the lid will blow off the blender when you start blending it).
Easy Pumpkin Soup Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 servings.
If you enjoyed this, I think you’ll also love my easy French Leek and Potato Soup!