Especially in winter, there’s nothing better than dunking crusty bread into a big bowl of creamy pumpkin soup (but with no cream in it!). The way I make it, it’s darn tasty and just 4 steps – a bit of chopping, plop 5 ingredients into a pot, simmer until cooked, then whizz into a soup. It’s that easy.
Pop this in your RecipeTin app so you can whizz this up and get it on the table in 15 minutes!
- 2lb/1 kg pumpkin (any), chopped into large chunks
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups / 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup / 250ml milk (see notes for vegan subs)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a saucepan and bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth. If you don't have a stick blender, use a blender - see notes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve with crusty bread.
- Variations: For a richer finish, substitute the milk with cream, but add after blending and do not bring to boil.
- Garnishes: Dollop of yoghurt, sour cream or creme fraiche goes wonderfully.
2. If you don't have a stick blender, you can use a blender BUT you must make sure that the soup is cooled slightly before blending it, otherwise you will find out the hard way that hot soup + blender = soup explosion (literally, the lid will blow off the blender when you start blending it).