With a gorgeous golden brown crust and almost an entire head of broccoli in them, it’s hard to believe these Chicken Patties are BAKED, not fried! Once you start eating these, it’s hard to stop – they are just so, so good.
These are like the chicken and broccoli version of good ole’ Rissoles! Serve this for dinner with crusty bread slathered with butter and a side salad. Or put out a platter with a dipping sauce as a starter to share!
Cheesy Chicken Patties
Fritters? Or patties? I couldn’t decide. And I kept flopping back and forth so you’ll probably see them used interchangeably throughout this post – and even the video (which I just realised I made with FRITTERS plastered all over it. 😂)
These are a variation of the ever popular Baked Broccoli Cheese Balls. When it comes to patties, I know it’s easy to automatically reach for the fry pan and oil. And to get a truly beautiful golden crust on patties – and fritters for that matter – you need a decent amount of oil. And it needs to be topped up.
And you need to stand there, frying batch after batch – I’d probably cook this in 3 batches. And you need to keep the cooked batches warm.
Scratch all that.
Bake ’em! They come out so golden and crispy!
Hidden broccoli – an entire head!
The chicken patties recipe calls for 2 cups of chopped broccoli. I know that doesn’t sound like very much but you’ll be surprised – it’s almost an entire head of broccoli. Once it’s soft cooked, chopped up, one whole head is about 2 cups. Jam packed, mind you!
Though having said that, these chicken patties can definitely take more broccoli – or other shredded veggies for that matter.
Think – carrots, grated onion, corn, grated zucchini (squeeze the excess liquid out in a dishtowel or paper towels), peas, finely sliced cabbage, even finely chopped green beans and asparagus. I’ve added notes in the recipe for how to do this.
And as for the CHEESE…
Well, you can’t call these cheesy patties without a good amount of CHEESE in them! It’s up to you how much you want to use.
How to serve Chicken Patties
- As a meal – with crusty bread and a side salad
- As a starter to share – pile onto a platter with a dipping sauce
- Burgers – Make bigger ones and use for BURGERS!
- Chicken Meatballs – Form meatballs instead of patties, and cook per recipe
As for a dipping sauce, ketchup / Aussie tomato sauce, plain yoghurt or sour cream are all great. But if you want to make a bit more of an effort, try the healthier Yogurt Ranch Dipping Sauce provided in the recipe! – Nagi x
More patties and fritters (I love them!)
- Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Broccoli Fritters
- Bill Granger’s Corn Fritters with Avocado Salsa
- Greek Zucchini Tots (Mini Fritters)
- Salmon Patties
- Thai Fish Cakes
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Cheesy Chicken Fritters with Broccoli recipe video! Not my hands. 😂
Cheesy Chicken Fritters with Broccoli
- 500 g / 1 lb chicken mince (ground chicken), or turkey or pork (Note 1)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 packed cups broccoli, soft cooked & finely chopped (1 head) (Note 2)
- ¾ cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded mozzarella (or other cheese of choice)
- 3/4 tsp salt (reduce to 1/2 tsp if using a flavoured cheese) (Note 3)
- Black pepper
- Oil spray
Yoghurt Ranch Sauce (optional):
- 2/3 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/8 tsp EACH dried dill, parsley and chives
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- 1 - 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice, optional
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F. Line a baking tray with baking paper (or spray with oil).
- Place Fritter ingredients in a bowl, mix to combine.
- Measure out about ¼ cup of mixture and pat into fritter shapes about 6 cm / 2.25" wide, 1cm / 2/5" thick (they shrink a bit and become thicker).
- Place on tray. Spray the top (generously) with oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip, spray with oil again then bake for a further 8 - 10 minutes until golden on top. Serve immediately with Sauce.
- Sauce: Mix ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside for 20+ minutes.
LIFE OF DOZER
Seriously, I’m telling you. This robe is EVERYTHING!!! (For me. Obviously Dozer prefers running around naked.)
Update pursuant to reader requests: Yes the store that sells this robe ships overseas, no that is not an affiliate link, it’s an Australian owned independent small business that I’m happy to support. I’ve had that robe for years and it’s not showing any sign of wear at all.