There is a seriously high ratio of broccoli in these! These Broccoli Fritters are a great way to hide a lot of greens into irresistible little bites. And they’re freezer friendly too!
“You will be amazed how little batter there is for the mound of broccoli used.”
I’ve been posting a broccoli recipe every week for the last few weeks because it’s been insanely cheap lately! For those of you in Australia, it’s currently $1.00/kg (that’s $0.50 / lb) at Coles (usually it’s $4+/kg!). So me being me, who can never resist a good bargain, I stocked up big time which means I’ve had to get seriously creative to get through the ridiculous amount of broccoli stockpiled in my fridge. Here’s what I’ve shared lately:
- Creamy Bacon, Chicken and Broccoli Bread Bake – made from scratch, ready to pop into the oven in just 15 minutes, this is a great way to use up any leftover stale bread lying around.
- Magic Broccoli – it truly is magic how a little roasting with garlic, a drizzle of lemon juice and a scattering of parmesan completely transforms broccoli!
So the Broccoli Mission continues. And today it’s bite size goodies in the form of Broccoli Fritters, that even kids love! These are seriously tasty fritters. And you will be amazed how much broccoli there is in them. There is an entire head of broccoli to make 6 fritters, and it only uses about 3/4 cup of batter. The “secret” step is to use a potato masher to lightly crush the cooked broccoli. This loosens them up so you only need enough batter to hold them together, and they mould into a fritter shape with a smooth golden brown surface rather than lumps of broccoli sticking out.
“These fritters freeze well. Just pan fry briefly to reheat them so you get the crispy crust.”
I made these Broccoli Fritters with a quick yoghurt sauce but you don’t even need the sauce to be honest, they are great eaten plain. These also freeze really well! To reheat, just thaw then cook them quickly in a dry fry pan to make the surface slightly crispy as well as heating them through. I don’t recommend microwaving them as they will go soggy, and in the oven the underside goes soggy though the top crisps up nicely.
Adapted from a recipe by Smitten Kitchen (I think! I don’t have the actual original recipe but a reader was kind enough to point me in that direction and I recognised the recipe!) – Nagi x
More patties and fritters (I love them!)
- Cheesy Chicken Patties with Broccoli and Broccoli Chicken Fritters
- Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Bill Granger’s Corn Fritters with Avocado Salsa
- Greek Zucchini Tots (Mini Fritters)
- Salmon Patties and Thai Fish Cakes
Parmesan Garlic Broccoli Fritters
- 3 cups broccoli florets and stem , roughly chopped into 2cm/1 inch pieces (see notes) (about 1 medium head of broccoli)
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive oil, canola)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk (low fat or full fat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Steam or boil the broccoli until quite tender (but not mushy). I did this in the microwave using a steamer, it took 3 minutes on high.
- Use a potato masher to roughy "squish" the broccoli. Not to look like mashed potato, but just to squish it a bit so when cooked it can be flattened with a spatula to make fritters with a smooth surface rather than having big lumps sticking out.
- Combine the Yoghurt Sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Place egg in a bowl and use a fork to lightly beat the egg. Add the remaining Batter ingredients and mix until combined. The Batter may seem a little thick but it will loosen up when you add the broccoli because when you squish it, it will release some liquid.
- Add the broccoli and mix to evenly disperse throughout the Batter.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan over medium heat.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of Batter and drop into the pan and use a spoon to gently flatten to about 1cm/1/3" thickness. Cook 3 fritters at a time.
- Cook each side for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with remaining Batter.
- Serve with the Yoghurt Sauce and extra lemon wedges, if desired.