Magic Baked Shrimp – named as such because it’s so simple to make, yet it tastes like a million bucks! Shrimp/prawns baked in an incredible lemon garlic butter white wine sauce, finished with a golden crunchy parmesan breadcrumb topping.
Don’t skip crusty bread for dunking in the incredible sauce!
Baked Shrimp (Prawns)
When you bake shrimp (prawns) in the oven, you simply can’t achieve that same caramelisation that you get from searing prawns on the stove or grill, which means less flavour.
And frankly, shrimp is pricey compared to other day-to-day proteins. So when I cook it, I’m not going to compromise!
So here are the two things in this recipe that adds an extra edge to compensation for loss of flavour because we can’t caramelise shrimp in the oven:
- White wine reduction flavour base – white wine is the “secret ingredient” that gives many sauces a flavour edge to take them from fine to soooo tasty!! It’s used in the classic recipe for Garlic Prawns/Shrimp and it’s essential to include for Baked Shrimp to make a seriously amazing sauce!!
- That crunchy parmesan breadcrumb topping – Texture! Flavour!
This is an effortless, utterly incredible way to cook shrimp in the oven that’s worthy of company!
What you need for MAGIC Baked Shrimp
There’s not that many ingredients required – part of the Magic of this recipe!!
For convenience, I use store bought grated parmesan and frozen prawns/shrimp.
Note: The prawns/shrimp shown below ARE raw! They are from Costco and they’re a particular type that are pink when raw.
How to make Baked Shrimp
So here is how I cook prawns / shrimp in the oven:
- Start with a white wine reduction in an empty pan in a hot oven. This creates an exceptional flavour base that’s usually missing from baked shrimp recipes!!
- Toss shrimp (prawns) with lemon, garlic, butter, salt and pepper;
- Top with parmesan panko breadcrumb topping;
- Bake just 12 minutes.
Yep, it’s that easy. No stirring, no stove splatters, all done in one pan!
And here’s what you end up with:
- Juicy, tender shrimp that are perfectly cooked;
- A pool of incredible lemon-butter-garlic-white wine sauce with an extra flavour boost from the shrimp juices; and
- The crowning glory – a golden crunchy parmesan topping. It just doesn’t get any better than this!!
The sauce that comes with this Baked Shrimp really is amazing. Even if it was just lemon and butter, it would be delicious. But with the white wine reduction, it’s INCREDIBLE!!!
Simple, effortless yet amazing
Recipes like this Baked Shrimp are my jam. It’s incredibly simple, yet utterly delectable.
It’s got it all! Flavour, juiciness, texture, depth of flavour, tang from lemon, savoury from parmesan.
So few ingredients, so effortless.
It’s like…. MAGIC!!! – Nagi x
PS I presume you figured it out from the outset, but just to clarify: prawns = shrimp. 🙂 I’m in Australia, and we call them prawns here. So most of my recipes are titled “prawns (shrimp)” but from time to time, depending on the recipe and given I have a large proportion of US readers, I will title a recipe “shrimp” rather than prawns. ?
More Fuss-free yet amazing Prawns / Shrimp recipes
- Asian Chilli Garlic Prawns (Shrimp)
- Garlic Prawns (Shrimp!)
- Garlic Shrimp Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Prawn Risotto (Shrimp)
- Prawn Mango Avocado Summer Salad
- Browse all Prawn / Shrimp recipes
Watch how to make it
Magic Baked Shrimp (Prawns)
- 500g/ 1 lb jumbo prawns/shrimp , peeled and deveined (Note 1)
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) dry white wine (sub chicken broth)
- 75g/ 5 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup parmesan , finely shredded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 220°C/430°F.
- Pour wine and half the butter into 9 x 13" / 22 x 33cm glass pan. Place in oven for 10 minutes to reduce. (Note 3)
- Toss prawns with remaining butter, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Butter may harden - that's ok.
- Mix Crunchy Topping ingredients.
- Remove pan from oven. Add prawns - spread out in single layer, but snug.
- Top with Crunchy Topping. Bake 12 minutes.
- Flick to broiler/grill on high, broil for 1 - 2 minutes (max) to brown top a bit more.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and crusty bread to mop up the incredible sauce!
Life of Dozer
Too much garlic in this Baked Shrimp for Dozer. So I offered him something else to taste test instead – and he seemed totally ok with it. ?