Brussels sprouts, bacon, apple and hazelnuts is a magic combination that makes this Brussel Sprout Salad that so good, you’ll be happy to have it as a meal! In fact, I’m sharing this recipe at the request of a brussels-sprout-hating friend after I served this at a lunch!!
A couple of weeks ago, I invited my friends around for a Sunday Roast Lamb Lunch. Nothing better than a leisurely Sunday spent with friends and a table laden with food! I’m actually sharing my Roast Lamb recipes on Wednesday along with a peek into my real life with a video of my lunch! I can’t wait to share it with you!!!
But I’m getting ahead of myself. 🙂 So one of the salads I made was this Brussels Sprout Salad. It’s a personal favourite of mine, but I still didn’t expect it to go down as well as it did. So much that when I asked my friend Rach which (if any) of the salads I made were worth sharing with my readers, she said this Brussels Sprouts Salad, hands down, even though she’s not a fan of Brussels Sprouts!!!
So here it is. 🙂
The reason this salad is so darn good is the ingredients in the salad itself. My friends and I always say that a great salad comes down to the dressing. But this is one of the rare exceptions.
The combination of shaved brussels sprouts (which really tones down the flavour of brussels sprouts), the fresh sweet juicy apple, warm crunch from hazelnuts and the salty pops of bacon is a winning combination. It’s so good that I keep the dressing very simple – it just needs a light coat of moisture, it doesn’t need tons of flavour.
There are tons of flavours going on in this salad but they are balanced nicely so this is not a heavy salad. It is fresh yet has plenty of flavour. It’s light enough to serve on the side of heavier meals, but also perfect with white meats and seafood.
Regular readers know that I’m all about food with flavours that packs a punch. When it comes to salads, I have a really high bar, only sharing the best of the best.
This makes the cut!!! – Nagi x
Brussel Sprout Salad
- 2 oz / 50g hazel nuts
- 180 g / 6oz bacon, chopped
- 1 red apple
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300 g / 10 oz brussels sprouts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Toast hazelnuts for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cool then roughly chop. Set aside.
- Either place the bacon on the baking tray used for the hazelnuts and bake until golden, or cook in a skillet. Drain on paper towels.
- Cut apple into matchsticks, keeping the skin on. Toss in lemon juice.
- Shave brussels sprouts finely using a slicer or food processor.
- Place Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Place Salad ingredients in a bowl, toss with Dressing. Set aside for 5 minutes before serving (to soften the brussels sprouts slightly).
LIFE OF DOZER
Woah! I finally found something he doesn’t want to EAT!!!