It’s hot, it’s creamy, it’s cheesy and loaded with bacon. This Cheese and Bacon Dip is every snack monsters’ dream come true, especially because it’s so fast to make. It is completely different from those tubs you get at the supermarket!
Serving it in a bread bowl is optional…. but it’s a terrific way to serve it!!
CHEESE AND BACON DIP – IN A BREAD BOWL!
I will never forget the first time I had dip in a bread bowl. I was 12, and it was a a retro Soup Mix French Onion dip. I ate so much darn dip and the bread bowl, I sat in the corner like an overstuffed Oompa Loompa while everyone else played party games.
I was 12. I lacked self control.
Wait. Who am I kidding. I’m 30-something and I still lack self control!
So that first experience of dip in a bread bowl ruined me for life. Because dip in bread bowls is not just about the dip. Equally as important is that dip soaked bread that everyone at the party fights over, even well before the dip is finished.
As of 10am this morning, I had no idea what I would be post this afternoon. I like to think I’m that person with a professional sounding editorial calendar that I plan weeks and months in advance.
Which I actually do have. But one of the luxuries / dangers of being the Executive Managing Editor of a simple sole-person blog is that I can change it on a whim at the last minute. Sometimes it’s because I just want to test a recipe one more time, just to be sure. Sometimes it’s because even though I had a great week of recipes planned, I’m still not happy with a recipe – or my taste testers are divided on the “best” version (such being the case today for Blueberry Cheesecake Bars I had originally planned to post).
And other times, also like today, I wake up and even though I have a handful of other sweet recipes I could use instead, I just have an urge to share something savoury.
Usually something cheesy.
Hot and creamy.
Well hello there Mr Cheese and Bacon Dip. I believe you fit that bill perfectly.
Happy weekend everyone! – Nagi x
More dip recipes
- Guacamole or Avocado Hummus Dip
- French Onion Dip (from scratch) OR Retro Soup Mix 2 Minute French Onion Dip
- Hot Corn Dip – you’ll love the flavour in this creamy, bubbly dip!
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Mexican Queso Dip
- Smoked Salmon Dip or Hot Smoked Trout Dip
- See all Dip Recipes
PS Because cob bread varies in size, put excess dip in a ramekin or other heatproof bowl. Or do as I did and grab some bread rolls and make Baby Cheese and Bacon Dip Bread Bowls!!
PPS Look – I even made a video. Today turned out to be a rather productive day – quite a turnaround from waking up to have no idea what recipe I’d be sharing today!
CHEESE AND BACON DIP
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Cheese and Bacon Dip
- 350 g / 12 oz bacon , chopped
- 250 g / 8 oz cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup sour cream (preferably full fate)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or sub with onion powder)
- 1 cup shredded tasty or cheddar cheese (Note 1)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Note 1)
- 1 cup shallots / scallions , chopped (~4 - 5 stalks)
Bread bowl & topping (optional)
- 1 round cob bread (sourdough works best)
- 5 Jatz / Ritz or other plain savoury cracker , crushed (Note 2)
- Oil spray
- Crackers , chips, toasted bread
- Cook bacon in a non stick skillet / fry pan over high heat until browned. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream and garlic powder together in a heat proof bowl.
- Stir through most of the bacon, all the cheese and most of the shallots. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. The dip may look like the oil from the cheese has separated. Just stir well and it will come (and stay) together.
- If serving as is, pour into a serving bowl, top with remaining bacon and shallots.
- Serve with crackers, chips and the bread you pulled out to create the bread bowl (I toast it).
- If making this in a bread bowl. use a small knife to cut a circle on the top of the cob loaf then remove enough bread to make a bowl. Pour the dip into the bowl.
- Top with crushed crackers, spray with oil. Bake for 20 minutes at 180C/350F until top is golden.
- Top with remaining bacon and shallots. Serve warm.
LIFE OF DOZER
In case you missed it in my Sunday Lamb Roast Lunch story that I shared on Wednesday, further evidence of the uncanny resemblance between Dozer and I. They say all dogs look like their owners…….you see it, don’t you??? Despite his golden fur vs my jet black hair?? 😉