This is like meatloaf and Beef Wellington had a baby. Except it’s made with chicken. With pops of sun dried tomato! Meet Chicken Meatloaf Wellington …
Here’s a fresh take on meatloaf for you! Made with chicken and encased in golden, flaky puff pastry, this is simple and fast to make. And it looks impressive! Don’t you think? 🙂
I did warn you that I was a puff pastry fiend and this is further evidence of that. I always, ALWAYS have a packet in my freezer and it’s my “go to” for making almost anything a bit more interesting. So when I picked up a packet of chicken mince (ground chicken) on special, I was rummaging around in the fridge wondering what to do with it and came across leftover sun dried tomatoes from when I posted my Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce. And this is what I came up with!
One of the ways I make my meatloaf (and meatballs!) juicy and with an extra burst of flavour is to mix grated onion into the filling. The juice from the onion adds extra moisture and the onion flavour is dispersed subtly throughout the meat rather than chunks of half cooked onion which is what can happen if you use diced onion. I really feel that it makes quite a difference and it’s the way I have always made meatloaf and meatballs. 🙂
I thought the addition of sun dried tomatoes was a nice touch! Makes it a little more interesting – little bursts of salty, oily sun dried tomato that adds flavour and juiciness. Chicken mince has a tendency to be dry so I was extra conscious of making sure the filling is really juicy. When you cut it while it is fresh and hot out of the oven, you will see juice oozing out of the filling. It’s so moist that I don’t feel the need for sauce.
This is one of those dishes that is best eaten fresh. It is just not the same reheated, even reheated in the oven. Though the puff pastry becomes nice and crisp again, the filling just isn’t as moist!
So if you make this, do it when there are enough people around to scoff it down fresh out of the oven. Everyone will love it! – Nagi x
More meatloaf recipes
I love a good meatloaf!
Meatloaf – extra tasty, extra juicy, extra soft!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chicken Meatloaf Wellington with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 small onion , grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 lb / 500 g ground chicken (mince) (Note 1)
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese , finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup fresh basil , roughly chopped (Note 2)
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry , thawed
- 1 egg , lightly beaten (optional) (Note 3)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the Filling ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to mix together. It should be quite soft and wet, not dry and crumbly.
- Place the filling onto the puff pastry. Shape into a loaf and roll the puff pastry up, ending with the seam side down.
- Transfer to baking tray. Cut a few diagonal slashes across the top.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the pastry is deep golden brown. Turn the tray at around 25 minutes for even browning.
- Remove from the oven. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a Comment