Chinese Beef and Broccoli Noodles is your favourite Beef and Broccoli stir fry with the addition of noodles! Plenty of savoury sauce, tender beef and broccoli, slippery noodles – everybody loves this!
I love stir fried noodle recipes because they’re a complete meal – no need to make a separate side of rice. My favourites in heavy rotation include Chicken Rice Noodles, Chicken Vegetable Ramen Noodles, Pad See Ew and Chow Mein!
Chinese Beef and Broccoli Noodles
This is the stir fried noodles version of everybody’s favourite Chinese Beef and Broccoli. It’s a firm takeout favourite, especially in the States.
I’ve been to China and Hong Kong several times and I can honestly say I do not recall ever seeing it on a menu, and I remember reading somewhere that broccoli is actually quite expensive in China. Thus, I expect that this is a Chinese-American dish. 🙂
But that’s ok! It doesn’t detract from the deliciousness!
But just because it’s a westernised one, it does not mean we lower our standards!! Great stir fried noodles come down to the sauce, and I truly think this is as good as what you get from (good!) Chinese restaurants – but less greasy. 🙂
Always proceed with caution if you see a stir fry sauce recipe made with little more than soy sauce + sugar. A good stir fry sauce needs something to add depth of flavour. Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry or Mirin), Oyster Sauce, Hoisin Sauce or a myriad of other lesser known but highly flavourful Asian condiments. Just a little tip for Asian Food Lovers! – Nagi xx
UPDATE: I added directions for how to make this using Charlie, my All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce that you may have lurking in your fridge (because he lasts for weeks and weeks and weeks…)
Chinese Beef and Broccoli Noodles
- 350 - 400 g / 12 - 14 oz beef rump or fillet , thinly sliced (or other quick cooking cut of beef)
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 onion , finely sliced
- 1 large head broccoli , broken into small florets
- 400 - 450g / 14 - 15 oz egg noodles (hokkien, lo mein, singapore - from the fridge) (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml water
- 1 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine/Shoasing wine (Note 3)
- 1 tsp white sugar (omit if using Mirin)
- 1/8 tsp Chinese five spice powder (not critical)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (not critical)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (white or black)
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped shallots / green onions / scallions
- Sauce: Place water and cornflour in a bowl, mix. Then add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Beef: Place in a bowl and add 1 1/2 tbsp Sauce. Mix.
- Broccoli & Noodles: Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add broccoli, cook for 1 minute. Add noodles then after 15 seconds, use a wooden spoon to separate the noodles then immediately drain (don't have the noodles in the water for more than 1 minute).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add garlic, quickly stir. Add onion and cook for 1 minute until it's tinged with brown.
- Add beef and cook until it changes from red to brown.
- Add noodles, broccoli and sauce. Toss together for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until Sauce thickens and coats the noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and shallots, if using, and serve!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Chinese Beef and Broccoli Noodles recipe video!
LIFE OF DOZER
Halfway between 2 of his most common states: Sleeping, and waiting for for whatever I’m shooting to leap off the table onto the floor.