Fluffy and smooth with a lovely chocolatey flavour, this is how to make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! Follow along with the quick recipe video (below recipe). Use this buttercream to frost cakes and cupcakes!
Keeping this post short and sweet because it’s an extra recipe for today! It’s an alternative frosting recipe to the every day Chocolate Fudge Frosting I used in the Best Easy Chocolate Cupcakes that I posted 1 minute ago (named as such because they are truly the best cupcakes I believe can be made without using a stand mixer. Super easy!!).
Buttercream is a classic favourite frosting for smothering over cakes and cupcakes. It’s not hard to make, but it does take time – and an electric mixer or stand mixer. The key is beating, beating, beating. The longer you beat, the fluffier it is and the smoother it is.
Beat, beat, beat.
Other than beating, the only other tip I have for a beautiful classic buttercream frosting is to use the right butter to icing sugar (powdered sugar) ratio. Too much sugar to butter = gritty frosting. My rule of thumb is 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar for every 125g / 1 stick of butter.
Go forth and enjoy! – Nagi x
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 200 g / 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups / 300g soft icing sugar / powdered sugar , sifted (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup / 35g cocoa powder , preferably Dutch Processed, sifted(Note 3)
- 1/4 cup / 65 ml milk (any)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attached. Beat for 3 minutes on speed 7 until it becomes pale.
- Add half the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Beat for 3 minutes - start slow, increase to speed 7.
- Add remaining icing sugar and cocoa powder. Beat again for 3 minutes.
- Add milk and vanilla if using. Beat again for 1 minute on speed 7.
- Spread onto cakes / cupcakes, or spoon into frosting bag and pipe.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe video!
LIFE OF DOZER
BY POPULAR DEMAND…. Dozer photo added!! I didn’t have one in this recipe because it was an extra recipe for the Chocolate Cupcakes. Gasp shock horror! Better fix it! 🙂