This Coconut Coriander / Cilantro Lime Rice is so good, you’ll be eating it plain straight out of the pot! A classic coconut rice freshened up with a burst of zesty lime and cilantro / coriander. Made in one pot, this is easy and a terrific way to jazz up plain old rice.
My favourite way to make coconut rice is using coconut milk POWDER because the rice comes out fluffier and cleaner- here’s my recipe for Coconut Rice here. That recipe is an Asian restaurant recipe, and the secret ingredient is kaffir lime leaves – it’s what makes that little difference to make it truly restaurant quality.
This recipe is for coconut rice made with coconut MILK, not powder. It doesn’t come out quite as fluffy but is still just as tasty. I wanted to share this version made with coconut milk because I’m pretty sure that most people – myself included – will more likely have coconut milk rather than coconut powder in their pantry!
You will find that many coconut rice recipes “out there” use just rice and coconut milk. In my personal – I stress the word PERSONAL(!) – opinion, that makes the rice: a) too rich; and b) too gluggy. So I use a combination of both coconut milk and water.
As a side note, every every chef recipe I’ve come across does the same. 😉
Coconut is quite rich, so when I serve this as a side, quite often I will freshen up the rice with lime juice. Which is why I decided to share my Coconut Coriander / Cilantro Lime Rice recipe, rather than just a Coconut Rice. 🙂 But you can omit the lime if you wish!
I served this as a side to my Hawaiian Coconut and Pineapple Chicken Skewers. It was a perfect accompaniment – not a coconut overload because of the freshness from the lime and cilantro / coriander. Also, this coconut rice and Hawaiian Chicken Skewers recipe together use up 1 can of coconut milk – perfect! 🙂
Hope you enjoy! – Nagi x
Coconut Coriander (Cilantro) Lime Rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice (jasmine is great too)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander / cilantro leaves
- 1 - 2 tbsp fresh lime juice (adjust to your taste)
- Place Rice ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat with the lid on. Bring to simmer then turn down to medium low.
- Cook for 15 to 18 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat, leaving the lid on, and rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork then stir through coriander/cilantro and lime juice. Adjust lime juice to taste.
LIFE OF DOZER
Searching for fish in the water…