Coconut milk makes a fantastic marinade, tenderising and infusing the chicken with rich flavour. The added bonus is that the marinade makes a fabulous sauce! Try grilling this Coconut Marinated Chicken – or cook it on the stove, your choice!
This is based on a recipe by Bobby Flay, one of my grilling idols. His shows started airing in Australia a few years ago and I was hooked.
Though I have to say…gosh, this could get me in trouble…Does anyone else think he really should consider wearing sunglasses? Because he always seems to be squinting!! 😉
I think he is incredibly talented at bringing together unique flavours with familiar ingredients. I have a killer of a 3 ingredient glazed pork chop recipe of his that I regularly use which I plan to share soon.
But as for this coconut marinated chicken – I am not actually sure whether he had it on his show. I got it from his book, Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction. He makes this with pork tenderloin and has a relish to accompany it. I tried it with pork tenderloin but found that it was difficult to cook to make it moist and tender on the grill.
But the flavour was so awesome that I decided to give it a go with chicken – and scored! It’s sensational!
I like to make a coconut based sauce to serve with the chicken, just to really drive home the coconut flavour. It’s made using the excess marinade – but don’t worry, it’s simmered rapidly to make it safe for consumption.
The chicken is sensational as it is, but honestly, the sauce “makes” this. I do hope you consider giving this a go! – Nagi x
If you love coconut milk sauces, you’ll love these!
- Easy Coconut Curry
- An amazing easy Thai Coconut Noodle Soup
- Salmon in Coconut Lime Sauce
- Coconut Pot Roasted Chicken
- Thai Coconut Chicken
- Thai Green Curry and Red Curry
And more of my favourite Asian Chicken recipes
All these are ideal for grilling but can also be cooked on the stove
- Thai Satay Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Yakitori Chicken – Japanese chicken skewers on my mother’s Japanese recipe website, RecipeTin Japan
- Thai Grilled Chicken (Gai Yang) – marinated in a fragrant Thai marinade
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken – infused with beautiful Vietnamese lemongrass flavours
- Asian Chicken – marinated in a great Asian marinade that’s sweet sand savoury
Coconut Marinated Chicken (Grill or Stove)
- 1 can coconut milk (preferably full fat, but light is ok) (14oz/400g)
- 2 limes - all the zest + 3 tbsp of juice
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger , finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tbsp Frank's classic hot sauce , or other hot sauce of choice (adjust to taste) (Note 2)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1.5 lb / 750g chicken thigh fillets , skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp oil (for cooking)
- 3/4 cup water
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Combine the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the Marinade, shaking off the excess. Keep the Marinade for the Sauce (below).
- Brush the BBQ with oil and heat to medium high, or heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken for around 7 minutes on the first side and 5 minutes on the second side, or until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Sauce and garnished with fresh cilantro leaves, if using.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cook for at least 10 minutes, or until thickened to desired consistency. (Note 1) Transfer to a sauce bowl.