Coconut milk makes a fantastic marinade, tenderising and infusing the chicken with rich flavour. The added bonus is that the marinade makes a fabulous sauce! Try grilling this Coconut Marinated Chicken – or cook it on the stove, your choice!
This is based on a recipe by Bobby Flay, one of my grilling idols. His shows started airing in Australia a few years ago and I was hooked.
Though I have to say…gosh, this could get me in trouble…Does anyone else think he really should consider wearing sunglasses? Because he always seems to be squinting!! 😉
I think he is incredibly talented at bringing together unique flavours with familiar ingredients. I have a killer of a 3 ingredient glazed pork chop recipe of his that I regularly use which I plan to share soon.
But as for this coconut marinated chicken – I am not actually sure whether he had it on his show. I got it from his book, Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction. He makes this with pork tenderloin and has a relish to accompany it. I tried it with pork tenderloin but found that it was difficult to cook to make it moist and tender on the grill.
But the flavour was so awesome that I decided to give it a go with chicken – and scored! It’s sensational!
I like to make a coconut based sauce to serve with the chicken, just to really drive home the coconut flavour. It’s made using the excess marinade – but don’t worry, it’s simmered rapidly to make it safe for consumption.
The chicken is sensational as it is, but honestly, the sauce “makes” this. I do hope you consider giving this a go! – Nagi x
If you love coconut milk sauces, you’ll love these!
An amazing easy Thai Coconut Noodle Soup
And more of my favourite Asian Chicken recipes
All these are ideal for grilling but can also be cooked on the stove
Yakitori Chicken – Japanese chicken skewers on my mother’s Japanese recipe website, RecipeTin Japan
Thai Grilled Chicken (Gai Yang) – marinated in a fragrant Thai marinade
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken – infused with beautiful Vietnamese lemongrass flavours
Asian Chicken – marinated in a great Asian marinade that’s sweet sand savoury
Coconut Marinated Chicken (Grill or Stove)
- 1 can coconut milk (preferably full fat, but light is ok) (14oz/400g)
- 2 limes - all the zest + 3 tbsp of juice
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger , finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tbsp Frank's classic hot sauce , or other hot sauce of choice (adjust to taste) (Note 2)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1.5 lb / 750g chicken thigh fillets , skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp oil (for cooking)
- 3/4 cup water
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Combine the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the Marinade, shaking off the excess. Keep the Marinade for the Sauce (below).
- Brush the BBQ with oil and heat to medium high, or heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken for around 7 minutes on the first side and 5 minutes on the second side, or until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Sauce and garnished with fresh cilantro leaves, if using.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cook for at least 10 minutes, or until thickened to desired consistency. (Note 1) Transfer to a sauce bowl.