Corn Casserole is an irresistible side dish, a cross between cornbread, creamed corn and soufflé with a golden brown caramelised top. It reheats 100% perfectly, so it’s a fabulous make-ahead side dish!
Corn Casserole is a popular Thanksgiving side dish but it’s so delicious, we should make it all year round! This corn casserole recipe is made from scratch with a shortcut option using Jiffy mix. Corn Casserole recipe originally published November 2016, updated with new photos and recipe video. No change to recipe – it’s a reader recipe that’s perfect as is!
From Scratch Corn Casserole recipe!
I only had corn casserole for the first time in my life a few years ago when a Sassy Lady from the South told me that in her books, her creamy Corn Casserole was an essential side for a true Thanksgiving experience. So I jumped at it when she offered to send me the recipe.
Reading the recipe, I could tell it would taste nice. Similar ingredients to the way I make Corn Bread Muffins, but more wet ingredients.
I was way out.
Her Corn Casserole is sensational. Utterly and speechlessly delicious. Dangerously addictive. So good, it stole the show at my Thanksgiving lunch!
WHAT IT TASTES LIKE
This is not the sort of side dish that Australians are familiar with, but I really hope that there are Aussies reading this who will give it a try.
The taste is like corn bread, with a texture like souffle but not as aerated. It looks like it has a cake texture and it holds its shape when served, but it’s much more moist, almost like a juicy pudding.
It’s quite sweet from both the corn and sugar. But it works. I have a savoury rather than sweet tooth, but I didn’t think this was too sweet.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORN CASSEROLE
Corn Casserole is a terrific quick side dish that’s a bit different from the usual but is the sort of food that’s universally appealing. It works well with any protein that’s made with savoury flavours (as opposed to sweet-savoury sauces like Honey Garlic Chicken).
WITH THANKS TO A SASSY SOUTHERN LADY
And the Sassy Lady from the South to whom I owe this discovery? Dorothy from Tennessee! A long time reader of RecipeTin Eats, a brilliant cook! Much of my Thanksgiving Menu from 2016 is credited to Dorothy, including the centrepiece Cajun Baked Turkey Breast roasted WITH a Cajun Dressing / Stuffing. It’s incredible!!
Thank you Dorothy, for sharing your amazing recipes with me so I can share them with my readers. I am truly honoured! – Nagi x
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Creamy Corn Casserole
- 2/3 cup (100g) flour* (all purpose/plain)
- 1/2 cup (80g) yellow cornmeal* (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup (55g) white sugar*
- 1 tbsp baking powder*
- 1/4 tsp salt*
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 420 g / 14 oz creamed corn (Note 3 for sub)
- 420 g / 14 oz canned corn kernels - do not drain!!
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1 stick / 115 g unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup (230g) sour cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325F/165C.
- Whisk Dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add Wet Ingredients, including all the liquid in the canned corn kernels. Mix well.
- Pour into a 2-2.5 quart / 2-2.5 litre / 8 cup casserole dish.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes (standard ovens) or 50 minutes (fan forced / convection), or until set but still a bit jiggle in the centre (it will set when cooled). The top should be a deep golden brown.
- Serve warm or even at room temperature.
LIFE OF DOZER
Just stopping for a bit of whale watching…..