Honey Garlic Chicken is an epic 12 minute dinner with a 5 INGREDIENT SAUCE made using pantry staples. A juicy seared chicken breast with the most incredible Honey Garlic Sauce, this is a brilliant back pocket quick dinner for busy nights to add to your Chicken Breast recipes collection!
My favourite sauce returns with Honey Garlic Chicken!
This Honey Garlic Chicken breast recipe is long overdue. The Sauce in this is a variation of my Honey Garlic Salmon which I first shared way back when I started this website.
If I were ever to do a summary of my top 5 Most Used Sauces, Honey Garlic Sauce would probably be right at the top of the list. I love it because it requires so few ingredients that are pantry staples, and when simmered with a seared protein in a skillet so it becomes all bubbly and syrupy…. oh WOW.
It’s just DA BOMB!!! ( <– Who talks like that at my age???! I do. Only in extenuating circumstances. Excitement over crazy delicious secret-weapon sauce falls under this category.😎)
Terrific quick chicken breast recipe
Though I personally have a preference for chicken thighs over chicken breast (better flavour, juicier!), I find myself putting chicken breast in my shopping trolley week after week.
Thus over the years, I’ve built up a wide variety of quick and easy chicken breast recipes – and this Honey Garlic Chicken is one of my favourite quick dinners that I find myself making over and over again.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, dust with flour (makes sauce cling to it better!)
- Sear chicken, add butter, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens. Turn chicken to coat in the amazing honey garlic sauce. And THAT’S IT!
It really is that crazy simple.
The chicken in this recipe is dusted with flour before searing, and while it is an optional step, I really do encourage you to do this. The flour creates a crust that the sauce can cling to, so the chicken is smothered with the sauce. If you just sear plain chicken, the sauce just sort of slips off – which is fine, you can scoop it up with each bite. But it’s even better when the sauce is clinging to the chicken!
There’s enough Honey Garlic Sauce to squidge your veggies into as well as drizzling over your rice or mopping up with a bread roll. Hope you enjoy! – Nagi x
Honey Garlic Chicken breast recipe
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
- 500 g / 1 lb chicken breast , boneless and skinless (2 pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup / 60g flour (Note 1)
- 50 g / 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter (or 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white or other clear vinegar)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce (or all purpose, Note 2)
- 1/3 cup / 90g honey (or maple syrup)
- Cut the breasts in half horizontally to create 4 steaks in total. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Coat chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Melt most of the butter in a large skillet over high heat - hold back about 1 tsp for later.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until golden.
- Turn and cook the other side for 1 minute.
- Turn heat down slightly to medium high.
- Make a bit of room in the pan and add garlic and top with remaining dab of butter. Stir garlic briefly once butter melts.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce and honey. Stir / shake pan to combine. Bring sauce to simmer, then simmer for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Turn chicken to coat in sauce. If the sauce gets too thick, add a touch of water and stir.
- Remove from stove immediately. Place chicken on plates and drizzle over remaining sauce.
Honey Garlic Chicken breast recipe originally published February 2018, post tidied up 8 September 2018 but no change to recipe (I wouldn’t dare, readers love it as it is!).
Life of Dozer
The fish down at the beach taunt Dozer endlessly, splashing around and leaping out of the water. Sometimes he’ll be in the water swimming non stop chasing fish for an hour! It’s brilliant – no effort required on my part. 😎