Dinner on the table in 15 minutes! Creamy Dill Sauce for salmon or trout is made with sour cream so it’s light and refreshing, and loaded with lovely fresh dill and lemon flavours.
Clocking in at just 397 calories per serving, and that’s with extra sauce for dipping your veggies in!
Everyone needs an arsenal of super quick meals in their back pocket. Fish with some kind of sauce is a great one because fish cooks so quickly.
Today I’m sharing a Creamy Dill Sauce which is no cook so it literally takes minutes to make. Just sour cream, mustard, lemon, garlic plus a good amount of fresh dill, and you have yourself a lovely fresh sauce. Delicious for dipping in bread and veggie sticks, and dolloping on salmon (or trout!).
Unlike many creamy sauces, Dill Sauce is not rich and heavy. It’s light and tangy so it goes really well with salmon and trout because they are both quite oily and rich.
Plus of course – dill. It’s one of the classic herb flavour pairings in this world. Tomato and basil. Rosemary and lamb. Salmon and dill. 👌🏼
I’d describe this Creamy Dill Sauce as a less tangy version of tzatziki. If you use yoghurt instead of sour cream, it would actually taste quite similar to tzatziki. I prefer to make this with sour cream because I find it smoother.
I alternate freely between salmon and trout in my cooking as I find them quite similar, though I think trout is slightly juicier (in Australia). I actually cooked 4 trouts, and I have no idea why I failed to take a single photo of all 4 of them. 🤦🏻♀️
Actually, maybe it was because my subconscious realised that if I only photographed 2 trouts, then I’d have half the sauce leftover to dunk bread into while I was shooting? 🤔
I served this with some bread and my lazy Zucchini Salad – I’ve popped the recipe in the notes. With these simple sides, this really is a complete meal you can get on the table in 15 minutes – without running around like a lunatic! – Nagi x
PS. More quick ways with salmon! Honey Garlic Salmon and Asian Glazed Salmon. Or for a variation of this creamy sauce, Salmon with Creamy Garlic & Herb Sauce. Then there’s this incredible Christmas Baked Salmon: Easy & Make-ahead, a super-easy and eye-catching Christmas (or anytime) centrepiece.
Also check out Japanese Salmon on my mother’s site, RecipeTin Japan. Don’t ask me to choose a favourite. I can’t!
PPS I made this Dill Sauce for salmon / trout, but it is also a fab dip for veggie sticks and bread. And you can thin it out more with lemon juice / milk, and use it as a salad dressing too!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Creamy Dill Sauce with Salmon or Trout
- 3/4 cup sour cream (1)
- 2 tsp Dijon or hot English mustard (2)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 small garlic clove , minced
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh dill , finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 - 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp milk (or olive oil, for richness)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp oil
- 4 salmon or trout fillets (125g / 4oz each)
- Salt and pepper
- Mix the Dill Sauce ingredients together (Mix well to loosen the sour cream). Adjust consistency with milk and tartness with lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes if you can - if using fresh garlic, set aside for 20 min.
- Pat fish dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Place fish in skillet skin side down. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from skillet onto serving plates. Serve with Dill Sauce on the side, garnished with fresh dill and lemon wedges if desired.
Save this Dill Sauce for Salmon to your “EASY DINNERS” Pinterest Board!
And follow me on Pinterest where I’m searching and saving all the very best recipes!
LIFE OF DOZER
That’s not for YOU Dozer, that trout is for the homeless man!
Leave a Comment