A creamy salmon risoni / orzo – on the table in just 15 minutes. A real crowd pleaser – one for the kids and the grown ups!
Can you believe that you can make this Creamy Salmon Risoni in just 15 minutes? You really can. Leisurely too, not frantic manic cooking. My one condition is that you have all the ingredients out on the bench, ready for chopping, measuring etc. Because I can’t be accountable for how long it takes you to rummage around in your pantry to dig out a packet of risoni! ?
This is a recipe from this month’s Super Food Ideas magazine, Australia’s top selling food magazine which just hit the stands. I feel very honoured that every month, I have a spread in the magazine and this month, the theme is 15 Minute Meals. Right up my alley! I love a challenge. I’ve done a whole heap of 15 Minute Meals here on RecipeTin Eats and I was keen to share more with Super Food Ideas readers!
Here’s the spread from this month! WOO HOO! Check it out – I got a little mention on the COVER this month! ?
The recipes included in the above feature in addition to this Creamy Salmon Risoni are as follows (starting top left):
- Moroccan Lamb with Chickpea Couscous – You know I hate to play favorites….but to think that you can create a platter of food like this in just 15 minutes is just so cool, isn’t it??
- Greek Chicken – Loaded with yummy Greek flavours in a tomato sauce studded with olives and finished with a sprinkle of feta. Makes my mouth water just describing it!
- Chorizo Kale and Bean Soup – Kale doesn’t make much of an appearance around here because I’m not into “super foods” for the sake of it. But I think it’s a perfect match for this soup!
- Shortcut Veal Schnitzel – YES you can make schnitzel without deep frying, with all the flavour and most of the crunch (and 5% of the mess too!). 🙂
- Creamy Salmon Risoni / Orzo – that’s this recipe I’m sharing on my blog. Sorry guys, I’m only allowed to share one!
For this recipe, I use a store bought hot smoked salmon. Yes, it’s a bit of a cheat shortcut but I’m yet to master smoking fish myself at home and hot smoked salmon is so handy to have in the fridge because it lasts for ages and ages!
You can use ordinary salmon, but I really love the extra flavour edge that hot smoked salmon adds to this. It takes it from yum to super delish.
This recipe is for all those who come home after a long day and want to serve up a nutritious tasty meal for their family without spending ages in the kitchen. The beauty of this risoni is that you can swap out the salmon for any other proteins and up the nutrition with extra veggies – and I’ve provided notes in the recipe for suggestions.
But I kept this very simple because….well, it was part of a 15 minute meals feature! – Nagi x
More risoni / orzo recipes
- One Pot Italian Chicken Orzo / Risoni Pasta – cosy, saucy one pot chicken and risoni dinner
- Orzo / Risoni Bolognaise – one pot bolognese pasta dish!
- Greek Lemon Orzo Salad – a bright fresh pasta salad loaded with Greek flavours
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Orzo (Risoni) (One Pot) – tastes like a creamy mushroom risotto
- Baked Greek Chicken Orzo (Risoni) – Greek chicken AND orzo made in one pot!
- One Pot Creamy Chicken, Vegetable & Parmesan Orzo (Risoni) – creamy chicken and vegetable orzo, a quick 20 minute meal
- Pea, Zucchini and Pesto Orzo / Risoni – a wonderful quick side dish
Creamy Salmon Risoni / Orzo (15 Minute Meal)
- 1.5 oz / 40g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion , diced (brown, white, yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk (light or full fat)
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth / stock
- 1 1/2 cups dried risoni / orzo (Note 1)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 6 oz / 185 g hot-smoked salmon , flaked into large chunks using 2 forks
- Parsley , chopped, to garnish
- Melt butter in a deep skillet or pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Switch to a whisk and add half the milk. Whisk to dissolve the pasty onion mixture into the milk (about 20 seconds). Then add remaining milk, chicken broth, risoni and peas.
- Bring to simmer then turn heat down to medium so it bubbles gently. Cook for 5 minutes - stir occasionally for the first half then more frequently during the second half.
- At 5 minutes, take it off the stove - it will still be quite saucy (see video) but will reduce in the next steps and while serving.
- Stir through parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Then gently stir through salmon.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley leaves if desired.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT