Italian Fish with Salsa is a simple, healthy fish recipe that’s light yet full of flavour! Called Pesce Con Salsa Piccante in Italian, this is a complete nutritious meal that’s only 420 calories – including the bread which is a MUST for mopping up the juices.
This is a pan fried fish recipe so is best made with thin fish fillets. Use your fish of choice – anything suitable for cooking on the stove!
Fish with Salsa
The first official RecipeTin LITE recipe!!! Recipes that fall into this category are healthy meals that are less than 500 calories for the complete meal. The majority of the dinner meals I share are less than 500 calories a serving but that’s usually excluding the sides like rice or bread that it is served with.
So RecipeTin LITE recipes will be quite different in that they are less than 500 calories for the entire plate of food you see – sides and all.
Healthy – without compromising on flavour. No hunting down unusual ingredients, no substituting real sugar with artificial sugar, no package mixes, no plastic diet cheese.
This is a quick healthy fish recipe that’s full of fresh flavours!
This Fish with Salsa is fresh, healthy, light yet full of flavour. The sort of meal I make when I’m short on time – a quick pan fried fish fillet topped with some sort of salsa on top – a spicy Italian tomato salsa in this case.
Salsa for Fish
This healthy fish recipe is topped with tomato salsa, and the juices from the tomato forms the dressing. We season the tomato with salt then leave it for a good 20 minutes or so before spooning it over the fish. This serves 2 purposes:
The tomato pieces soften so they sort of “meld” together better with the soft flesh of the fish; and
It creates a juice which is used as the sauce for the fish, rather than using loads and loads of olive oil.
A quick, healthy fish recipe
Excluding the time the salsa is set aside to sweat, this Fish with Salsa is a super fast meal – 5 minutes of prep, 10 minutes to cook.
So this is low on calories – 420 calories for this entire plate including 2 slices of bread (which are essential for mopping up the juices!) – healthy, light, bursting with fresh flavour and super quick to prepare.
Ticks all my boxes! – Nagi x
PS If you want to get fancy, call this Pesce Con Salsa Piccante which is Italian for “Fish with Spicy Salsa”!
PPS. For another great, light Italian fish dish try Acqua Pazza (Italian-style poached fish).
Fish with Spicy Salsa
- 2 ripe tomatoes , deseeded and diced (Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp fresh chili , finely chopped (or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup , packed, basil leaves
- 6 slices eggplant , 1cm / 1/2" thick
- 2 x 150g / 5oz fish fillets (I used perch)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 slices sourdough bread , toasted
- Combine the Spicy Salsa ingredients except basil in a bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes to sweat so juices seep and the tomatoes soften.
- Season eggplant and fish generously with salt and pepper. Then dust fish with flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a non stick skillet over high heat. Add the eggplant and cook each side until charred and softened - about 2 minutes first side, 1 1/2 minutes second side. Remove onto a plate.
- Heat remaining oil. Add fish and cook until light golden on both sides, pressing down with an egg flip to brown it evenly.
- Tear basil leaves with your hands and toss through the salsa.
- To serve, place 3 eggplants on each plate, top with a piece of fish and spoon over the salsa + juices. Serve with toasted sourdough on the side.
PS You can find all the RecipeTin LITE recipe by clicking here. It’s in the Recipe Index under Courses > LITE Meals. I tagged my existing recipes that are <500 calories per serving (sides and all) and was quite pleasantly surprised that I had a decent selection! 🙂