This is a wonderful classic lentil side dish that takes a mere 10 minutes of prep, then you just let it simmer away for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. It is a perfect side for any protein – like a simple piece of grilled fish with a handful of greens. Or stir through a can of tuna, corn and diced red peppers to make a colourful, nutritious, filling lunch.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 small stalk of celery , finely diced
- 4 eschallots or 1 medium brown onion , finely diced
- 1 small carrot , finely diced
- 1 cup of dried puy lentils , rinsed
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme leave , or finely chopped rosemary leaves
Heat olive oil in a medium size saucepan over medium heat.
Sautee garlic, celery, carrot and onion until softened - around 5 minutes.
Add lentils, chicken stock and herbs.
Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally
By the time the liquid has been absorbed and is mostly gone, the lentils will be done - around 30 minutes.