The one thing that sets this homemade Italian Dressing apart from the rest? Parmesan cheese. Kiss the bottled stuff goodbye!
Bonus: This classic homemade Italian Dressing recipe keeps for 2 weeks so make a big batch! Fabulous with leafy greens, steamed, chopped and roasted vegetables.
I am addicted to Italian Dressing.
I never thought Italian Dressing was anything special in my younger days. That was before I discovered an Italian Dressing recipe with parmesan in it (can’t remember where, think it was one of those recipe websites).
Tried it once and I was converted. Parmesan is now essential for Italian Dressing in my world!
Actually, as I prepared to write up this recipe, I had a quick Google around and it seems that there are now many, many recipes for Italian Dressing made using parmesan. 🙂 I thought I had some deep dark Italian secret, but it seems not!
⬆This is how it looks when it’s been sitting around for a while. Love the layers! Just give it a good shake and it’s as good as new. 🙂
I am pretty sure Italian Dressing is one of the most popular dressings at the supermarket. But it truly baffles me why anyone would buy it when it’s a) so simple to make b) customisable and c) you know exactly what’s in it when you make it at home.
Plus, homemade Italian dressing keeps for 2 to 3 weeks in the fridge. So why oh why buy???
While you can make this with fresh garlic, I have always made it with garlic powder. Firstly, that’s just the way I’ve always known to make Italian Dressing. Secondly, the sheer convenience. Because by making it with garlic powder rather than fresh garlic, this Italian Dressing can be kept for a few weeks. Whereas if you make this with fresh garlic, it only lasts a few days (fresh raw garlic – once chopped/minced- goes off after a few days and can cause a nasty form of food poisoning called botulism).
Whether you use this for steamed vegetables, leafy greens, shredded, chopped or roasted vegetables, it just makes everything better. So make a BIG BATCH of this and have it on standby at all times! – Nagi x
Single Batch (1/4 cup, salad for 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red or white wine vinegar (Note 1)
- 2 tsp freshly grated parmesan (Note 2)
- 1 tsp sugar (any)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder (or 1 small garlic clove minced, if using within 3 days)
- 1/8 tsp each dried basil , oregano and parsley (or a mix of choice)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (Note 3)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Big Batch to Keep (1 1/4 cups)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red or white wine vinegar (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar (any)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder (or 2 garlic cloves minced, if using within 3 days)
- 1/2 tsp each dried basil , oregano and parsley (or a mix of choice)
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes (Note 3)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place ingredients in a jar and shake well until combined.
- Adjust sugar, salt and pepper to taste. For less tang, add more olive oil, for more tang, add more vinegar.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For the Single Batch, this makes just over 1/4 cup and is enough to dress 3 handfuls of leafy greens.
Don’t miss all the other Ready To Use Dressings I shared! These all last for 2+ weeks, most for 3 weeks. Find them all here.