A very fast prep, quick dinner idea that’s worthy of a dinner party! The sauce in this Lemon Garlic Chicken and Potato Bake is the hero. Tasty Mediterranean flavours. All made in ONE PAN!
Chicken and Potato Bake – with Mediterranean flavours!
Don’t you love recipes with barely any chopping? This is one of those. And you end up with a spectacular dish that’s worthy of a dinner party. At least, in my books it is. Because….this sauce. The sauce! It’s so good! It would make a posh restaurant proud.
And the beauty of this? No fancy ingredients, no expensive wine or stock, just a handful of everyday ingredients – lemon juice, garlic, oregano and paprika – no whisking, no emulsifying, no straining – just chuck it all in a pan and you end up with this.
WITH an incredible sauce. 🙂 Score! Home run!
Chicken Drumsticks OR Chicken Thighs
Infused with classic Mediterranean flavours of garlic, lemon, oregano and paprika, this is a dinner is fast to prepare and highly versatile. I’ve used onions, potatoes and cherry tomatoes here but you could really use whatever vegetables you have.
Zucchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, corn cobs spring to mind as ideal substitutions. Rummage around in your fridge and see what you’ve got!
I’ve made this recipe with chicken drumsticks but bone in, skin on thighs would be ideal too because they have a similar cook time. For cooking directions with other chicken cuts, refer to the notes.
And while it would be ideal to marinate if you have the time, this recipe has enough sauce so that it’s fine to make even without marinating! – Nagi x
One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken Potato Bake
Marinade / Sauce
- 8 chicken drumsticks (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice , preferably fresh
- 6 cloves garlic , crushed
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (Optional - Note 2)
- 2 tbsp honey or 1 tbsp sugar (Note 3)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 4 small to medium potatoes , quartered (Note 8)
- 2 red onions , quartered
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (250g/8oz)
- Salt and pepper
- Oil spray (optional)
- Fresh oregano , for garnish (optional)
- If time permits, combine the chicken and marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and set aside for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours. (Note 4)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Pour the chicken and marinade into a baking dish, then add the chicken stock, potatoes and onion.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, turn chicken (Note 5). Add cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with paprika and salt and pepper. Turn oven up to 200C/390F and bake for a further 25 - 35 minutes or until potatoes and chicken are cooked. Keep an eye on the liquid if you cook for longer - don't let the sauce evaporate! Add water if needed.
- Optional: For extra golden chicken and potatoes, spray with oil then broil for a few minutes. I do this.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before serving, garnished with fresh oregano leaves.
- Bone in skin on thigh fillets: Add 5 to 10 minutes baking time and place chicken skin side DOWN to bake covered, then when you remove the cover, turn the chicken so it is skin side UP.
- Boneless skinless thigh fillets: Add the chicken into the pan 20 minutes into the baking time. If you leave it in for the whole time per the recipe, they will overcook.
- Chicken breast: not recommended, because there is a high risk of being dry and the cook time is very variable. However, it can be done - just add the chicken 10 to 15 minutes into the baking time to ensure it is not overcooked.