Cooking sausages in the oven with vegetables is a quick dinner you can throw together in mere minutes. The bonus is that this Sausage Bake comes with gravy, and it’s all made in one pan!
Bonus: the gravy gets an extra flavour boost from all the sausage and vegetable drippings. This sausage recipe is a game changer!
Sausage Bake – One Pan Meal!
I have a rule about sausages. Sausages for dinner must always be accompanied with gravy – here’s how I make it on the stove: Sausages and Gravy.
So I’ve made a sausage, veggie and gravy dinner super easy by making it all in one pan.
Yes, you heard me right. This Sausage Bake is all made in ONE PAN. YES those golden brown sausages and roasted vegetables are sitting on a pool of gravy that was cooked right in the oven along with them!!
How to cook Sausages in the oven with vegetables and gravy
Toss vegetables and potatoes in oil, salt, pepper and a touch of dried herbs of choice (I use thyme and oregano). Place in the pan, then top with sausages.
Whisk up the gravy – it’s made using the same ingredients required in a standard gravy that’s made on the stove. Stock, flour, butter, seasoning.
Except rather than cooking it on the stove, we pour it right into the pan so it bubbles away at the same time the sausages and vegetables are cooking.
By the time the sausages and vegetables are done, the gravy has thickened and is beautifully browned, just like when it’s made on the stove like in this Sausages and Gravy recipe!
Quick Dinner Idea – in one pan!
This is a super tasty and quick dinner to make, but I’m not applauding myself for creating a ground breaking recipe of any kind. Because when you think about it, this Sausage Bake is pretty much made like a stew. The sauce – gravy in this case – is thickened with flour, just like when making a stew.
And the vegetables and meat are cooked together in the sauce – except in this case, I deliberately put the sausages on top so they get nice and brown.
✅ One Pan
Dinner tonight? – Nagi x
More Sausage recipes
Sausage Bake with Vegetables and Gravy
Watch how to make it
Oven Baked Sausages with Potatoes, Vegetable AND Gravy!
- 700g / 1.4 lb baby potatoes , halved
- 3 carrots , peeled and cut into 2"/5cm pieces
- 2 red onions , each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 8 - 10 sausages (500-700g / 1-1.4lb) (Note 2)
- Oil spray (optional)
- 2 tbsp / 30g melted butter, unsalted
- 2 1/2 tbsp flour (plain / all purpose)
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth (or chicken) (Note 3)
- Fresh thyme , for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan / convection).
- Place Vegetable ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well to coat.
- Add sausages and toss briefly.
- Transfer into roasting pan. Pan should be of a size so the vegetables are stacked about 2 deep - see photos and video. Rearrange sausages so they are on top.
- In the same bowl used for the vegetables, add butter and flour. Whisk.
- Add a bit of beef broth and whisk, then whisk in remaining broth. (Don't worry if you end up with some floating butter bits)
- Pour down the side of the pan (don't pour over the sausages or veggies).
- Optional: Spray sausages with oil - browns slightly better (especially lean sausages).
- Bake 25 minutes. Turn sausages. Spray again with oil (optional) then bake for a further 25 minutes or until sausages are browned and potatoes are soft.
- Serve Sausages and Vegetables with Gravy on top, garnished with fresh thyme leaves if desired. (See notes for Gravy thickness adjustment)
Life of Dozer
The sight of a suitcase always distresses him. So I tried to trick him by piling up my luggage in a washing basket, planning to throw it into a suitcase at the last minute. Just so I wouldn’t have to deal with his forlorn face all night.
Didn’t work. He figured it out.?
And the original photo from when I first published this recipe which was around Christmas: Dozer sulking. He really, really hates Christmas!