Rotisserie Flavoured Chicken and Potato Bake is just as it seems: TWO dishes in ONE PAN! Chicken rubbed with classic rotisserie chicken flavours, roasted on top of a potato gratin so the chicken juices flavour the potato. A great midweek meal or casual dinner with family and friends.
I may never make potato gratin again without plonking a chicken on it while it bakes. The extra flavour it adds is truly incredible. Plus, the chicken skin splatters onto the surface of the potato while it roasts which helps create a golden, crispy surface on the potato gratin.
I got this idea from a Gourmet Traveller Australia recipe – one I fleetingly saw on Pinterest which I haven’t been able to find again. You would think searching “Chicken and potato” on the Gourmet Traveller website would locate it…..but no….(**Update: Found it! It was actually a roast LAMB on scalloped potatoes. I might try it!**)
This is great for entertaining because it looks pretty darn spectacular (if I do say so myself!) but it’s fast to assemble. And you probably have most of the ingredients you need for the Rub in your pantry already – it’s just garlic and onion powder, paprika and dried thyme. The Rub recipe is adapted from this Rotisserie Style Chicken recipe by my friend Meggan from Culinary Hill. It’s one of the first recipes I tried from her blog and it’s a keeper!!
(PS Those charred bits on the chicken are the BEST!!)
The task that takes the most effort is slicing the potatoes so having a slicer is really handy. This slicer is my favourite kitchen gadget (truly!) because it has 4 adjustable thicknesses with NO SET UP! I do have a huge fancy schamncy slicer set with a gazillion bits and pieces but I never ever use it. In fact….hmm….I don’t even think it’s in my kitchen….it must be in the garage…
Two dishes. One skillet. The new age of one pot cooking! – Nagi x
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Rotisserie Flavoured Chicken and Potato Bake & a Giveaway!
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 chicken thigh fillets , skin on and bone in (about 1.5lb/750g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , halved then sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1.5 lb / 750g potatoes (Note 1), peeled and sliced into 1/8" / 0.3cm slices
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan , grated
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Combine the Rub ingredients in a small bowl. Rub onto the chicken, using most on the skin side.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large fry pan. (Note 2) Place chicken in the pan, skin side down. Cook for 10 minutes - this renders the fat. Then turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Pour out and discard all the fat but do not wipe the pan. Return the pan to the stove and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Add the onion and garlic together and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add half the milk and bring to simmer. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan to mix the brown bits into the milk.
- Place half the potatoes in the pan. Scatter over 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper and half the parmesan.
- Repeat with remaining potato, salt and parmesan, then pour over the remaining milk.
- Use a egg flip to press the potatoes into the milk while it simmers for 10 minutes and some of the milk has evaporated.
- Place chicken on the potato, then place in the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are golden brown on top.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a Comment