These Spicy Little Muffin Tin Chicken Tostadas are a great little party food that are fast to prepare and can be made ahead! I cut the rounds using an empty can then they are baked into cups using a muffin tin. Make them as spicy as you want…or not!
Mini Chicken Tostadas
There are so many Mexican things we can’t get here in Australia. Mexican cheeses – like Cotija. Chipotle was really only introduced here a few years ago, and even today you have to go to speciality stores to get it. (Though I do note that Harris Farms has Chipotle in Adobo which is my current flavour obsession!). We don’t even have canned green chilies here! At least, not the type to use in Mexican dishes.
Amongst the lengthy list of Mexican produce we can’t get here is tostadas. Which, actually, is probably a good thing because I have a lack of self control around deep fried crunchy goodness.
So I make my own tostadas, usually by baking tortillas. I know it’s not 100% authentic, but it’s easier than deep frying and you still get that yummy crunchy base to pile high with Mexican goodness. 🙂
These little babies are mini tostadas which I adore making when I’m doing a Mexican spread. They are really practical for entertaining because you can prepare everything in advance then it’s very quick to assemble to serve.
The tostadas cups are made by cutting rounds out of tortillas. I use an empty 400g/14oz can because I don’t have round cutters. The can is a perfect size to make shallow cups. 😉 You could of course use a round cutter!
These are filled with shredded chicken dressed with mayonnaise and jazzed up with plenty of jalapeños for a good kick and a squeeze of lime. Very simple to make. They are incredibly moorish, and you do need to be careful not to eat too many because they are quite filling!
Don’t hold back on the jalapeños! These are all about the fiery kick! And don’t forget the tequila shooters!! 🙂
Some more mini one-bite Appetizers!
Quiche Toast Cups – mini quiche made with bread!
Browse all Party Food
Spicy Little Muffin Tin Chicken Tostadas
- 2 to 3 tortillas (flour or corn)
- Oil spray
- 1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped canned jalapeño , drained (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots/scallions (or 1/4 cup finely diced red onion)
- 2 tbsp finely diced coriander/cilantro stems
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cooked chicken (plain, unseasoned)
- Coriander/cilantro leaves
- Diced avocado
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut out 10 rounds using a 7.5cm/3" round cutter OR 400g/14oz empty, clean can. You should be able to get 5 out of each tortilla.
- Mould into standard size muffin tins. Spray with oil, then bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Allow to cool in the muffin tin then set aside until required in an airtight container.
- Place all the Filling ingredients except the chicken in a bowl and mix to combine. Then add the chicken and toss gently to coat.
- To serve, divide the chicken filling between the tostada cups. Sprinkle with coriander/cilantro leaves and avocado.