Take the humble cauliflower to a new level with this divine easy Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Crunchy Bread Chunks and Celery. Inspired by a recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Jerusalem cookbook, this salad is just as good at room temperature as it is warm, making it a great make ahead dish. “Bread Chunks” is probably not the most elegant name….but”breadcrumbs” didn’t seem like the right description!
The crunchy juicy pieces of celery add a refreshing element and pairs perfectly with the nutty roasted cauliflower and the crunchy chunky bread pieces. It all gets roasted on one tray – less washing up! And the dressing used is the same as the dressing in my Spiced Chickpea Salad which matches it beautifully, bringing a wonderful citrus flavour to this salad which is soaked up by the cauliflower and bread.
I have this salad as a meal – I find cauliflower wonderfully “meaty” and satisfying. I stuffed it into a wrap – see photo below. I hope you give this recipe a go.
More cauliflower recipes
- Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Cauliflower Pasta with Pangrattato
- Roasted Cauliflower with Almond Sauce (Ester Restaurant)
- Creamy, Dreamy Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Crunchy Bread
- 1/2 head large cauliflower (or 1 whole small)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups torn large chunks of bread (stale works better, but fresh is fine too)
- Handful parsley leaves
- 1 celery stalk , cut into 0.3"/ 0.5cm slices on the diagonal
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- 1½ tbsp sherry vinegar
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Break cauliflower into medium size florets (not too small), use a knife to cut the larger pieces.
- Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper, spread on baking tray and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until cauliflower is lightly browned.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar, and shake well. Set aside for flavours to develop.
- Remove tray, move cauliflower to one side (on the tray). Put the bread in a pile, drizzle 1tbsp olive oil and use your fingers to coat.
- Spread out the bread and return the tray to the oven for 3 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Remove tray and set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the cauliflower, parsley and celery in a bowl, toss with dressing.
- Lastly, add the bread and toss to combine, then scatter a pinch of sumac over the top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.