Dreamy, creamy cauliflower soup. Forget the spoon. Just pick up the bowl and drink! OH – and PS….it’s only 190 calories for an enormous bowl! This is unintentional diet food at its best!
I am very aware that there is a serious lack of vegetables / salads / meat free / cheese free / carb free food on my blog. I always have good intentions of blogging more vegetable focussed things but I tend to get distracted by…well…you know. Anything but salads.
So I always feel like giving myself a pat on the back when I post a meat-free-almost-dairy-free-cheese-free dish!
I love this soup. There are wild storms hitting Sydney as I write up this post and I can’t think of a better soup to come home to.
Plus, it’s effortless. No fine chopping and dicing. Just break off the florets of a cauliflower, roughly chop up the stalk along with a potato, onion and a few garlic cloves. Toss them into a pot with milk and stock/broth, then once tender, whizz with a handheld blender.
It’s that easy! And LOOK how thick and creamy it is!
This recipe is practically a “formula”. It works with loads of vegetables – broccoli, carrots, parsnip, potato, beetroot (ever tried RED soup??!), peas, fennel, zucchini. Anything vegetable that softens when boiled so it can be whizzed to become a soup.
I wasn’t really thinking about calories when I decided to post this. But when I ran the nutritional analysis, I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that it is a mere 190 calories per serving. I double checked it a few times to make sure it was right – and it is!
So really, if you want to treat yourself, stir through a dollop or two of cream without guilt. 🙂
Hmmm…..so if I have this for dinner, it means I can have a brownie for dessert, right? Same logic behind having a Mars Bar with a Diet Coke….. – Nagi
PS Aren’t my attempts at fancy restaurant swirls of cream and olive oil atrocious? 🙂
More creamy cream-less soups
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup – bid Heinz goodbye!
- Corn Chowder and Ham and Corn Chowder with Potato
- Broccoli Potato Soup and Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Super Low Cal Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup with Noodles
- Creamy Carrot Soup
- Browse all Soups
And more cauliflower recipes
- Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Cauliflower Pasta with Pangrattato
- Roasted Cauliflower with Almond Sauce (Ester Restaurant)
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Crunchy Bread Chunks
Creamy Dreamy Cauliflower Soup
- 3 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 1 kg / 2 lb (1 medium head) cauliflower , florets broken off and stalk roughly chopped
- 8 oz / 250 g (1 large, 2 small) potatoes , peeled and roughly diced
- 1 large onion , peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups milk (any - dairy, non dairy, full fat or low fat)
- 2 cups chicken broth / stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
To garnish (optional)
- Thyme (highly recommended!)
- Cream and/or olive oil , to drizzle
- Place all Soup ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a large pot over high heat and bring to boil, then turn down to medium and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Use a hand held blender and blend until smooth (Note 1), then add salt and pepper to taste.
- If the soup is too thick for your taste, add more milk, water or stock (and more salt if needed). If you want it even thicker, let it simmer on the stove for a while longer to reduce down and thicken (be careful not to reduce it so much that it is too salty).
- Serve, garnished with fresh thyme leaves and drizzled with cream and/or olive oil, if desired.
Save this Creamy Cauliflower Soup to your “Soups” Pinterest Board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest so you can see all the delicious recipes I’m pinning!