Perfect match: golden roasted sweet potato, rocket / arugula, feta or goats cheese, pecans and a drizzle of Honey Lemon Dressing. This Roasted Sweet Potato salad is worthy of a meal or as a side for an occasion – especially if you add a little sprinkle of bacon!
AN IRRESISTIBLE SWEET POTATO SALAD!
This is a terrific “meaty” salad that’s loaded with fantastic textures and flavours, and is filling enough to serve as a main.
The combination of peppery fresh rocket / arugula leaves, the sweet potato with the caramelised edges, the soft crunch of pecans with the salty feta then finished with lemony honey dressing is irresistible. One bite, and you’ll go back for more and more!
THE BEST WAY TO ROAST SWEET POTATOES
Every time I roast sweet potatoes, I wonder why I don’t make it more often. So juicy and soft on the inside, naturally sweet, and caramelises beautifully on the outside. I can’t think of another vegetable that caramelises this well. Not even pumpkin – it gets too mushy before it caramelises like this.
I’ve experimented roasting sweet potatoes in various ways, and I find I get the best results using olive oil and roasting it in a stinking hot oven. While butter has a lovely flavour, it burns at high oven temperatures. I’ve tried using a mix of butter and oil too, but still found that the butter became too bitter.
Though sweet potato is already sweet, it pairs perfectly with a Honey Lemon Dressing. I promise it’s not too sweet! I’m a savoury girl, so I’m very particular about the level of sweetness in savoury foods. The honey just takes the edge off the sharpness of the lemon, as well as thickening it so the dressing clings to the salad.
I’ve made this a ridiculous number of times over the past month or so. It’s my current obsession. I’m really into salads at the moment. Salads as meals. I’ve got a few more favorites coming up in the next few weeks, I hope you like them!
This is also a salad that regularly has a place during holiday feasting. Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. 🙂 It’s a terrific side because it’s something a little more interesting that the usual garden salad, and it’s a total crowd pleaser.
Hope you enjoy! – Nagi x
- 600 - 700 g / 1.2 - 1.4 lb sweet potato , peeled (2 medium)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g / 3.5 oz rocket salad / arugula (~3 handfuls)
- 1/2 cup (70g / 5 oz) pecans
- 1 tsp oil
- 100 g / 3.5 oz bacon , chopped (I used lean)
- 60 g / 2 oz Goats Cheese or Danish feta (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice , fresh
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper , to taste
Preheat oven to 220C / 430F.
Cut sweet potato into 1.5cm / 3/5" thick slices. Cut the larger rounds in half (into semi circles).
Place in a bowl, drizzle over oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Pour onto baking tray.
Roast for 20 minutes, then use an egg flip to turn and roast for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile, place Dressing ingredients in a jar, mix with a teaspoon (to get honey off the base) then shake well until combined.
Toast pecans in a dry skillet over medium high heat for 3 minutes, or until they smell nutty.
Remove pecans, then heat 1 tsp oil. Add bacon and cook until golden.
To assemble, place everything in a bowl, reserving some bacon, pecans and goats cheese for garnish. Drizzle with most of the dressing, then toss gently.
Transfer into a serving bowl, garnish with remaining bacon, pecans and goats cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve!
1. I like using Goats Cheese and Danish feta (the soft creamy feta, rather than hard like Greek feta) for this salad. They are creamy and soft, yet can be crumbled. Blue cheese would also work well with this salad, or any other cheese of choice that can be crumbled but is creamy when you bite into it.
2. My tips for roasting sweet potato so they are beautifully caramelised and not soggy on the outside: Don't use too much oil (really!) and roast in a hot oven!
3. Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 servings.
LIFE OF DOZER
What? Dozer doesn’t like sweet potato peel? ?