Salted caramel is dangerously addictive. It is perfect for storing in the refrigerator as a topping for ice cream, cakes (like Apple Cake or Vanilla Sponge Cake), drizzling on cupcakes, as a dipping sauce (try it with these Baked Apple Pie Fries!), for churros, or simple eating with a spoon (erm yes, am guilty of that)…..the possibilities are endless! It is also perfect for making ahead and gifting as it keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks and in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to rolling boil, stirring to help dissolve the sugar.
- Boil for 5 to 8 minutes, until it turns a golden brown.
- Pour in the cream, whisking constantly. Be careful, as the caramel is hot and it will foam.
- Once the cream is combined, remove from heat and whisk in the salt and vanilla.
- The caramel will seem thin. It thickens alot as it cools.