I call this Sticky Pantry Chicken because you probably have all the marinade ingredients in your pantry. It’s sweet, sticky and spicy (optional), with an incredible depth of flavour for such a quick recipe!
Because the marinade makes such a great saucy glaze, you don’t need to marinate the chicken overnight, though you can if you want.
A handy shortcut I use is to steam the broccolini using the residual heat when resting the rice – it works perfectly! You can substitute the broccolini for other vegetables, such as sliced carrots, asparagus, or any other vegetable that cooks in around the same time as broccolini.
Sticky Pantry Chicken with Rice and Broccolini
Chicken and Marinade
- 6 (1.5-2lb / 750g-1kg) chicken thigh fillets
- 1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon or American mustard
- 2 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (any)
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil (for frying)
Rice and Broccolini
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 bunches broccolini
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds (optional)
- Combine the rice and water in a pot, bring to boil then turn down to simmer until the water is absorbed (6 to 8 minutes).
- Remove rice from heat, place broccolini in the pot on top of the rice, put lid back on and leave for the rice to rest for 5 minutes and the residual heat to steam the broccolini.
- While the rice is cooking, combine the chicken marinade ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat, quickly dip each piece of chicken into the marinade, shaking off the excess, then place in the pan.
- Cook the first side for 2 to 3 minutes, until it caramelises and is dark golden, then turn and cook the other side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, add the remaining marinade with an extra 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to rapid simmer, stirring occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- When the sauce has thickened (around 1 to 2 minutes), remove from heat, return the chicken to the pan to coat in the sauce.
- To serve, place rice on a plate, top with chicken and broccolini on the side. Garnish broccolini with flaked almonds if you wish.