If you like Satay Chicken, then you’re going to LOVE this Satay Chicken Noodle Salad! This is fantastic served warm or at room temperature. If you’re entertaining, lay everything out in separate bowls and let everyone help themselves!
Noodles. Satay Chicken. Veggies. And a creamy peanut dressing. What an awesome combination!
It’s like Satay Chicken and a noodle stir fry had a baby. Or a noodle stir fry and a salad had a baby. No, wait – more like Satay Chicken and a salad had a baby.
It’s a hybrid! And it’s INCREDIBLE with a capital I. A BIG capital I.
I can assure you, with the Japanese blood running through my veins, I am very fussy about feaux-Asian food. I’m not even going to pretend this is authentic South East Asian food by any stretch of the imagination.
But it’s darn tasty, and that’s all that matters. 🙂
So this is part of my attempt to get more veggies onto RecipeTin Eats in 2016. I started with just a satay chicken salad without noodles. But I just wasn’t happy. It was yum – ok yum.
But I knew that if I added noodles, it would be magical.
The creamy peanut dressing which is made to be tossed with noodles.
Speaking of the chicken, this isn’t just plain cooked chicken. Oh no! It’s made using a basic satay chicken recipe, so it’s got plenty of flavour oomph in its own right.
Honestly? I’d be happy with just a bowl of the chicken and the peanut dressing. Hold the veggies thanks!
Veggies – tick.
Noodles – tick.
Tasty satay chicken – double tick.
Creamy satay peanut sauce – triple tick.
Use all the willpower you have to NOT drink all the dressing.
Or eat all the chicken with the dressing. That’s the hardest part. When that chicken is cooked….you won’t be able to resist dunking it in the dressing to have a taste…then it will take a LOT of strength to stop! -Nagi x
- ¼ cup peanut butter (preferably smooth)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sriracha , or 2 tsp chili paste/sauce + 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 6 tbsp coconut milk (I used low fat)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 oz/300g fresh egg noodles (Note 1)
- 2 cups red cabbage , shredded
- 2 cups green cabbage , shredded
- 2 carrots , finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 scallion/shallot stems , finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large red chilli (not very spicy), deseeded and finely sliced (Note 2)
- 12 oz / 350g chicken breast , cut in half vertically and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp sweet soy sauce/ kecap manis (Note 3)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp peanuts , roughly chopped
Mix dressing ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
Prepare noodles according to packet instructions.
Place both cabbages and carrots in a bowl, add 1/4 tsp salt, toss to combine and set aside for 5-10 minutes to wilt lightly.
Place the Satay Chicken ingredients EXCEPT the oil in a bowl and toss to coat.
Heat oil in a non stick fry pan over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes until golden, then transfer to a plate.
Toss noodles and remaining salad ingredients with chicken and Dressing, then serve. Serve at room temperature or warm.
1. I used Fantastic Fresh Singapore Noodles, but you can use any noodles you want. Just prepare them according to the packet instructions. I like use the thin noodles you get from the refrigerator section of the supermarket. They only require soaking in boiling water for a couple of minutes to prepare them.
2. The larger the chili, the less spicy they are. I used the large red chilies that are around 15cm/6" long that are not very spicy. You could also use finely sliced red bell peppers/capsicums, or omit this altogether.
3. You can use either sweet soy sauce OR kecap manis in this. Sweet soy sauce is syrupy and sweet, compared to thin ordinary soy sauce. If you can't find sweet soy sauce or kecap mains, then use 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
4. To serve warm, I like to cook the chicken last, then toss all the other ingredients into the fry pan and add 1/4 cup water. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes until warmed through, then serve.
5. Nutrition assuming 4 servings.
LIFE OF DOZER
In case you missed it on Instagram, summer is BACK in Sydney and Dozer is LOVING it!! (PS Dozer is the crazy one jumping higher, the one at the front is his beach buddy Ollie! 😉 )