Chicken skewers, kebabs, kebobs. Whatever you call this Honey Sriracha Chicken, and whether cooked on the stove or grilled on the barbecue, these are a guaranteed crowd pleaser that are SUPER easy to make with only 5 ingredients required for the marinade that’s also used as the glaze!
Sometimes I share recipes with very few ingredients, like my 5 ingredient Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin, 5 ingredient Honey Garlic Salmon and 3 ingredient Shortbread Cookies. But I never force or recreate recipes to make them with less ingredients. They are just great as they are.
Like my mum’s homemade Teriyaki Sauce Marinade. A real Japanese recipe, it’s only got 3 ingredients (I get water for free!). And that’s the way it is supposed to be made.
The key is finding a combination of ingredients that come together to create magic. Amazing food that doesn’t taste flat, or like it is missing “something” when you taste it.
For these chicken skewers, it would have been easy to use just soy sauce, garlic and honey, and call this a “3 ingredient recipe”. But honestly? It’s a) too thin to create a good glaze and b) flat tasting. It needs an extra edge either in the marinade or I’d have to make a separate sauce.
I chose the easy route – give the marinade more oomph. And I feel there’s a pretty good glaze on these skewers, what do you think? 😉
So to create the extra layer of flavour and achieve that gorgeous glaze you can see in the photos, I added 2 more ingredients: dijon mustard (thickener & extra layers of flavour) and sriracha (for slight tang + mild spice).
Which is why I’ve ended up with 5 ingredients in this glaze instead of just 3. 🙂 Totally worth it!!
I’ve used sriracha in this recipe but honestly, you can barely taste the spice. I use it for a very mild spiciness but more for the tang.
It’s summer here in Sydney and these are PERFECT for a midweek grill out! And it’s really delicious used with beef, pork and fish too! – Nagi x
Chicken on sticks is always a good thing!
Chicken Souvlaki (Greek)
Yakitori (Japanese skewers) – on my mother’s Japanese cooking website, RecipeTin Japan!
Honey Sriracha Chicken Skewers
- 1.5 lb / 750g lb / 750g chicken thigh fillets (Note 1)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard (Note 2)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 - 3 tbsp sriracha OR any other hot sauce (e.g. Frank's), adjust amount to your taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil (I used vegetable)
- Cut the chicken into 2cm / 4/5" cubes.
- Mix Marinade ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Transfer 4 tablespoons of the Marinade into a small bowl ("Reserved Marinade", to use for basting).
- Add chicken into the bowl with the remaining Marinade. Mix to coat and set aside for 20 minutes to marinade (up to overnight). (Note 3)
- Thread chicken onto skewers, discard marinade in the bowl. I used 14 small ones about 18cm/7" long, 4 pieces of chicken on each.
- Heat oil on a BBQ or skillet over medium heat. Place skewers on the BBQ and cook the first side for 2 1/2 minutes, then turn the skewers.
- Baste the COOKED side that is now facing up generously with the reserved Reserved Marinade. After 2 1/2 minutes, turn the skewers and quickly baste the other side generously with the Reserved Marinade. Turn immediately. Cook for just a few seconds, then transfer to a plate. (Note 4)
- Baste the skewers on the plate one more time with the Reserved Marinade, then serve.
- I served mine with Cilantro/Coriander Lime Rice (Note 5)