Freezer standby meals don’t get any better than this – burritos filled with Mexican Shredded Beef in a rich, thick sauce, and stuffed with Mexican Red Rice and cheese. SO GOOD! You will love this Shredded Beef Burritos recipe.
Last week, I shared my Mexican Shredded Beef recipe. Beef slow cooked with classic Mexican flavours then shredded and tossed in the glorious sauce the beef was cooked in. The beef is really juicy, fall apart tender, and the sauce is really something else! To be honest, it’s hard to go wrong with the braising liquid from anything slow cooked. 🙂
The recipe for my Mexican Shredded Beef makes a LOT of beef. When you shred meat, it always makes it seem like so much more which is a good thing because it goes further! Look at this mound of goodness…….
In that post, I made tacos out of the beef. And today I’m sharing burritos made with the same beef. Freezer friendly ones! I had a ridiculous amount of beef (from testing the recipe multiple times) so I made them freezer friendly so I didn’t have to worry about ensuring they were consumed within a couple of days. 🙂
I stuffed my burritos with the shredded beef, cheese and Mexican Red Rice. There is a bit of an art to rolling burritos. I must admit, I struggle. I blame my hands. Bay Hands (i.e. abnormally small hands) are NOT made for rolling up generously stuffed burritos! Here’s how I roll them. The little extra step I do is using a knife (blunt side down) to help keep the stuffing in place while I pull the bottom part of the tortilla over the filling. I’m pretty sure that people with larger hands will not need the knife!
I made these burritos freezer friendly but if you are making them to consume immediately or you want to do a “DIY Burrito Spread”, feel free to add other burrito fillings. I only use beef, rice and cheese because all the ingredients freeze perfectly. My other favourite fillings include pico de gallo or just plain sliced/diced tomatoes, cilantro/coriander, avocado, salsa, sour cream (yes, I love putting sour cream in the burrito!) and lettuce. But none of these freeze well which is why I haven’t included them in my freezer friendly burrito. 🙂
But here’s a photo of a non-freezer friendly burrito, in case that’s what you want to make! I’ve included some notes in the recipe too.
Time to get stuck into my lunch! I’m having this one! – Nagi x
Shredded Beef Burritos
- Microwave half the tortillas very briefly to warm them up (15 seconds or so). This ensures they don't crack when you roll them.
- Place 1 tortilla on a workbench - cover the rest with a tea towel to keep them warm.
- Place cheese down the middle of the tortilla, then top with 1/3 cup of beef, some corn, beans, then 1/4 cup rice.
- Roll the burrito up. (Note 2) Wrap in foil to hold it together.
- If you are serving it immediately, heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook the burritos for around 4 to 5 minutes on each side to make the tortilla brown and heat the inside through.
- If freezing, place in the freezer. To reheat, you can either bake from frozen (with foil on) at 350F/180C for about 40 to 45 minutes, or thaw and cook in the skillet per above. You could microwave it (remove the foil) but I like my burritos a bit crispy!
No nutrition today. Too difficult to calculate because this uses 2 recipes!