Egg, Bacon and Avocado Quesadilla: Breakfast quesadillas just got a whole lot more interesting just by cooking a whole egg inside!
Doesn’t the yolk look fantastic? It would put a smile on anyone’s face, cutting into a quesadilla and discovering that. 🙂
Sure, you could just have scrambled eggs inside the quesadilla. But this is so much more interesting!
Plus, I have a thing about whole eggs. I just love soft yolks. It’s my favourite part of the egg. I just don’t get all those health-conscious people who order egg white omelettes. I feel like telling the waiter to add the yolk to my breakfast plate!!
I contemplated making this with runny yolks but it’s actually not very practical with quesadillas because the tortilla doesn’t soak up the runny yolk like toast does. But I really am careful not to overcook the egg because I really don’t like overcooked yolks. Too dry!
As you can see in the photo below, I use the avocado to create a “ring” to hold the egg inside the quesadilla. Avocado is the perfect barrier because it’s soft and creamy so you can kind of “smush” the slices together so they seal together, holding in the egg when it’s cracked into the middle. 🙂
Sometimes I make it with mushed avocado instead of slices. I literally just scoop avocado into a bowl and mush it up with a fork, then dollop a ring of it onto the tortilla the same way the slices are laid onto the tortilla. You can sort of see a tortilla made this way in the photo below – the one on the far left (sorry it’s blurred!). You can just make out the mush of avocado peeking out of the edge of the quesadilla.
But I do prefer making it with avocado slices. It’s much prettier. Don’t you think?
I made this with bacon and cheese because…..well, bacon. And cheese. This just wouldn’t be “complete” without two of my favourite foods in the world.
Plus, they make everything better. Everything. And this is no exception.
Saturday morning just got a whole lot more interesting! Happy weekend everyone! – Nagi x
PS I wish you could freeze these but you can’t. Weird things happen to avocado when it’s frozen. I tried. 🙂
Whole Egg, Bacon and Avocado Quesadilla
- 3 rashers of streaky bacon , chopped
- 4 flour tortillas (Note 1)
- 4 eggs
- 1 large avocado , halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the bacon and cook until cooked to your liking. Remove bacon onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain excess fat from the skillet and wipe away/scrape off any black bits. Return to the stove over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet. Place avocado slices around the rim of half the tortilla and thinner slices across the middle to form a "ring" to hold the egg - as per the photo below. Squish the pieces close together to seal them so egg does not leak.
- Crack an egg into the centre, sprinkle with bacon, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Fold the tortilla over and cook for 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. I usually cook 2 in the skillet.
- Flip, turning over the folded edge (i.e. slide the flip under the curved edge and flip over the folded edge). Cook the other side for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from the skillet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately, while hot!