The ultimate one pot family meal – Slow Cooker Pot Roast! This beef pot roast is a little different to the usual – the braising liquid is thickened slightly so it’s more like a gravy rather than just watery broth. So it’s meltingly tender slow cooker roast beef, vegetables and potatoes smothered in gravy…YES PLEASE!
Mop your bowl clean with Irish Soda Bread, a rustic no-yeast bread that calls for just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes effort!
If you love meltingly tender, slow cooker roast beef and deeply flavoured gravy, this crock pot roast is for you!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
I wasn’t a fan of pot roast for most of my life. I just didn’t get it – the beef and vegetables were fine, but typically they are braised in just liquids that aren’t thickened in any way so the end result is like a watery broth.
Plenty of flavour in it, but when you pour it over the beef and vegetables, it doesn’t cling to it at all because it’s watery.
So I decided to change it and thicken the sauce using a touch of flour. So it’s more like a gravy. Now THAT’s a pot roast worthy of company, in my humble opinion!!!
Chuck roast is the best cut for pot roast
I’m convinced that Beef Chuck Roast was put on this earth to be made into Pot Roast. Is there any better way to transform a good value cut of beef than than to turn it into a fall apart tender slow cooker roast beef with flavoured loaded vegetables smothered in a gravy?
I think not!
Chuck roast can be purchased in large pieces that are or aren’t rolled. You want to use rolled chuck roast for this recipe, otherwise the beef ends up all warped. Supermarkets and butchers should carry chuck roast that’s already rolled, otherwise, you can roll it yourself and tie with kitchen string or ask the butcher to do it for you.
About this Slow Cooker Roast Beef
This recipe is essentially a Slow Cooker Roast Beef that comes wiht a gravy and tender flavour infused vegetables.
The typical slow cooker pot roast involves searing the chuck roast (do not – I repeat, do not skip this step! Key for flavour base!) which is then placed in the slow cooker along with vegetables and beef broth plus sometimes wine, and some herbs for flavour.
The two little-but-big things I do differently for this crock pot roast recipe are as follows:
- Deglaze the skillet after browning the chuck roast but cooking onion and garlic then adding red wine (or broth) so all the flavour left in the pan from searing the beef gets dissolved into the liquid used for braising; and
- Add flour to to thicken the braising liquid so at the end, it comes out like gravy rather than a thin watery liquid.
Because I make this pot roast in a slow cooker, this ends up with tons of sauce. You need enough broth for the beef to be mostly submerged in liquid, but because there’s no evaporation and the beef also releases juices, you end up with lots and lots of liquid.
Which means, in my version of Pot Roast, you end up with lots and lots of gravy.
Not a bad problem to have, hmm? 🙂
Also I just realised – this is a SLOW COOKER Pot Roast recipe, and yet I shot it in a casserole pan in the photo below. I don’t have a serving platter that’s deep enough to hold all the sauce, so I had to improvise, but looking at it now, it’s a bit misleading. Oops! – Nagi x
More slow cooked Beef recipes
- Prime Rib / Standing Rib Roast
- Fall apart beef Short Ribs
- Beef Stew
- Beef and Guinness Stew
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
- Slow Cooked Shredded Beef Ragu
- See more cosy Comfort Foods
SLOW COOKER BEEF POT ROAST
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Sometimes, it’s helpful to have a visual so watch me make this Slow Cooker Pot Roast! Note: My slow cooker looks like a pressure cooker because it’s a multi function slow cooker (but no, it’s not an Instant Pot!).
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 - 2 kg / 2 - 4 lb beef chuck roast / rolled chuck (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (large) , cut into large dice
- 5 garlic cloves , peeled and smashed (Note 2a)
- 5 carrots , peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1" pieces
- 3 celery stalks , cut into 4 cm / 1.5" pieces
- 1 cup / 250 ml dry red wine (or sub with beef broth)
- 3 cups / 750 ml beef broth , salt reduced
- 1/3 cup / 50g flour (plain / all purpose) (GF - Note 2b)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 750 g - 1 kg / 1.5 - 2 lb potatoes , peeled and cut into 2.5 cm / 1" pieces
- Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper all over.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown aggressively all over - a deep dark brown crust is essential for flavour base! Should take about 7 minutes.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until onion is browned.
- Add wine, reduce by half. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Mix together flour and about 1 cup of the broth. Lumps is fine. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add remaining broth, carrots, celery, rosemary and thyme into slow cooker.
- Cover and slow cook on LOW for 5 hours. Or 45 minutes in a pressure cook on HIGH. (Note 3a for Oven and Stove)
- Add potato, slow cook on LOW for 3 hours. Or 10 minutes in a pressure cooker on HIGH. (Note 3b)
- Remove beef. Rest for 5 minutes, then slice thickly.
- Adjust salt and pepper of Sauce to taste. Serve beef with vegetables and plenty of sauce!
This pot roast recipe was originally published January 2018. Updated September 2018 for housekeeping matters. No change to recipe – I wouldn’t dare! 🙂
LIFE OF DOZER
When the homeless man at the dog park isn’t at his car (usually off tending to the park grounds – best groundskeeper EVER!), I tie food to the boot of his van. Pot Roast, in this case!
And this is Dozer, trying to figure out if he can reach the bag. #SHAMELESS