Tender, juicy, flavour infused slow cooker Beef Brisket smothered in a homemade BBQ Sauce. This is the stuff food dreams are made of! Quick to prepare, then let your slow cooker, pressure cooker or oven work its magic!
An easy, incredible Slow Cooker Beef Brisket!
I really am not a girls’ girl when it comes to food. I don’t gaze in wonder at stunningly decorated multi-tier cakes. I don’t ooh and aah over pretty little chocolates. I have no interest in learning how to make candy.
But I do go gah-gah over sights like this – a giant hunk of flavour loaded meat.
I’m all class. All class. 😂
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER BEEF BRISKET
It’s a straight forward recipe though there is a fairly long list of spices because we’re making a homemade rub and homemade BBQ Sauce here. Totally worth it – there’s no bottled sauce that compares to this!
We start off with a spice mix to rub on the beef brisket. No need to marinate because we’re slow cooking the brisket. If we were roasting it, I’d recommend marinating it.
Then place the ingredients for the homemade BBQ Sauce in the slow cooker (vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and spices), add the beef and leave to slow cook for 8 to 10 hours.
After this, all that’s required is a few minutes under the grill/broiler to caramelise the crust, and to simmer the liquid in the slow cooker to reduce it down to a syrupy sauce consistency <– This right here is our homemade BBQ Sauce!
WHAT IS BEEF BRISKET?
Beef brisket is an up-and-coming cut of beef in Australia. It’s started appearing on supermarkets shelves which I’m super excited about!
Brisket is a cut of beef made for slow cooking, not fast cooking. It’s unique characteristic compared to other slow cooking cuts of beef is that it holds its shape even after hours and hours of slow cooking and can be sliced. When you slow cook other cuts of slow cooking cuts of beef like chuck, gravy beef (an Australian beef cut) and short ribs, they fall apart because there is more connective tissues running throughout the meat which breakdown with slow cooking.
However, as you can see in the photos in this post, brisket holds together and can be sliced. But the slices are ultra tender and could be shredded easily, see? 🙂
Brisket also shreds well, but I prefer using chuck beef or ribs for shredding as they have more fat running through the meat and so the shredded pieces are nice and juicy. Though brisket has a layer of fat on the surface, there actually is not that much fat or connective tissues running through it, so if you shred it then it’s pretty lean.
Come to think of it, it’s a great leaner option for shredded beef recipes! 🙂
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BEEF BRISKET
For this particular recipe, I’m keeping this Slow Cooker Beef Brisket whole and slicing it. Serve up a hearty Southern style supper with sides of Homemade Southern Style Baked Beans, Corn Bread (or try my favourite Corn Bread Muffins!), Creamy Corn Casserole, Coleslaw, Potato Salad or mashed potato.
Or pile it onto sliders – this is the way I usually serve it because brisket is a perfect recipe for feeding a crowd!
This is one of those recipes that I consider trans-seasonal. Meaning – it’s terrific for those in the dark depths of winter, and everyone sweltering in the summer sun! Use your slow cooker or pressure cooker to avoid steaming up your whole kitchen with the heat from the oven, or perhaps if it’s freezing where you are then you prefer to use the oven!
Whatever your choice, you’ll find the directions in the recipe below. My favourite way of making slow cooked meats like this is to use the slow cooker. It’s the most hands off and easiest.
Happy weekend everyone! – Nagi xx
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with BBQ Sauce recipe video! I speed through the part where I put the rub on the brisket to save you copping an eyeful of my BabyHands…. That brisket looks GIANT compared to my hands!! 😂
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with BBQ Sauce
- 1.5 – 2 kg / 3 – 4 lb beef brisket (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or a neutral oil like vegetable, canola)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml ketchup
- 1/2 cup / 110g brown sugar , packed
- 2 tsp EACH black pepper , onion powder, mustard powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste re: spiciness)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Place Rub in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Rub all over brisket with your hands. If time permits, leave for 30 minutes – 24 hours in the fridge, but I rarely do this.
- Combine BBQ Sauce ingredients in a slow cooker. Mix then add the brisket – squish it in if needed, like I did (see video).
- Slow cook in slow cooker for 8 hours (1.5 kg / 3 lb) to 10 hours (2 kg / 4 lb). (Note 2 for pressure cooker and oven)
- Remove brisket onto a tray.
- Pour liquid in slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium high heat and reduce until it thickens to a syrup consistency (it thickens more as it cools).
- Meanwhile, drizzle brisket with oil then roast in a 200C/390F oven for 15 minutes until brown spots appear. Remove then baste generously with Sauce, then return to oven for 5 minutes. Remove and baste again, then return to oven for 5 – 10 minutes until it caramelises and looks like the photos. (See note for BBQ option)
- TO SERVE: Slice brisket thinly across the grain and serve with remaining BBQ Sauce. This is terrific served as a meal with sides or piled high onto rolls with Coleslaw as sliders. See Note 3 for more ideas.
LIFE OF DOZER
So. Much. Sand.
Anyone for a puppy kiss? 😝