Slow Cooker Pot Roast is the ultimate one pot family meal! This is the most incredible yet amazingly simple way to make pot roast in the slow cooker. Fall apart beef, tender vegetables and potatoes smothered in a rich gravy. Make this beef pot roast in your slow cooker / crockpot, instant pot OR oven!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Confession: I wasn’t a fan of pot roast for most of my life. I just didn’t get it – the beef and vegetables were fine, but typically they are braised in just liquids that aren’t thickened in any way so the end result is like a watery broth.
Plenty of flavour in it, but when you pour it over the beef and vegetables, it doesn’t cling to it at all because it’s watery.
So I decided to change it and thicken the sauce using a touch of flour. So it’s more like a gravy. Now THAT’s a pot roast worthy of company, in my humble opinion!!!
If you love meltingly tender, slow cooked roast beef and deeply flavoured gravy, this crockpot pot roast is for you!
How to make Pot Roast
- Season beef well with salt and pepper
- Sear beef aggressively – this is KEY for flavour in the broth and the beef!
- Sauté onion and garlic, then delgaze the skillet or whatever you seared the beef in with red wine;
- Tip everything into a slow cooker (instant pot / pressure cooker or casserole pot for oven) along with beef broth, carrots and celery
- Sprinkle with dried rosemary and thyme then slow cook – or cook in the oven or pressure cook;
- Add the potatoes partway through cooking and by the time the potatoes are cooked, the beef will be meltingly tender!
Why this Slow Cooker Roast Beef?
The key point of difference with this slow cooker pot roast is that the braising liquid is thickened so it comes out like a deeply flavoured gravy rather than a watery broth which is how most pot roasts are made.
It’s essentially a Slow Cooker Roast Beef that comes with a gravy and tender flavour infused vegetables. It’s SO much more delicious than the typical pot roasts with their watery broths!!
Because I make this pot roast in a slow cooker, this ends up with tons of sauce. You need enough broth for the beef to be mostly submerged in liquid, but because there’s no evaporation and the beef also releases juices, you end up with lots and lots of liquid.
Which means, in my Pot Roast, you end up with lots and lots of very tasty gravy.
This is a sensational “problem” to have. Keep leftovers, drown your potatoes with them, toss through pasta (oh yes!!), serve it as a sauce for tomorrow night’s dinner. – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Note: My slow cooker looks like a pressure cooker because it’s a multi function slow cooker (but no, it’s not an Instant Pot!).
More slow cooked beef recipes
- Prime Rib / Standing Rib Roast
- Fall apart beef Short Ribs
- Beef Stew
- Beef and Guinness Stew
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
- Slow Cooked Shredded Beef Ragu
- See more cosy Comfort Foods
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 2 kg / 4 lb beef chuck roast , rolled (Note 1)
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (large), cut into large dice
- 5 garlic cloves , peeled and smashed (Note 2a)
- 5 carrots , peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1" pieces
- 3 celery stalks , cut into 4 cm / 1.5" pieces
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine (sub with beef broth)
- 3 cups (750ml) beef broth , salt reduced
- 1/3 cup (50g) flour (plain / all purpose) (GF - Note 2b)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 750g / 1.5 lb potatoes , peeled and cut into 2.5 cm / 1" pieces
- Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper all over.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown aggressively all over - a deep dark brown crust is essential for flavour base! Should take about 7 minutes.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until onion is browned.
- Add wine, reduce by half. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Mix together flour and about 1 cup of the broth. Lumps is fine. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add remaining broth, carrots, celery, rosemary and thyme into slow cooker.
- Cover and slow cook on LOW for 5 hours. (45 min pressure cook on HIGH, Note 3a for Oven and Stove)
- Add potato, slow cook on LOW for 3 hours. (10 min pressure cooker on HIGH, Note 3b)
- Remove beef. Rest for 5 minutes, then slice thickly.
- Adjust salt and pepper of Sauce to taste.
- Serve beef with vegetables and plenty of sauce! Crust bread also terrific for mopping up sauce.
This pot roast recipe was originally published January 2018. Updated September 2018 and October 2019 for housekeeping matters. No change to recipe – I wouldn’t dare! 🙂
Life of Dozer
When the homeless man at the dog park isn’t at his car (usually off tending to the park grounds – best groundskeeper EVER!), I tie food to the boot of his van. Pot Roast, in this case!
And this is Dozer, trying to figure out if he can reach the bag. #SHAMELESS