A stack of crispy potato rosti / hash browns, topped with smoked salmon and a dollop of sour cream. This Smoked Salmon Potato Rosti Stack is something a little indulgent you can make for breakfast when you want to impress or treat yourself! And you can easily make this for a crowd because you can make the rosti the day before. Then just pop them in a really hot oven to reheat and crisp up.
Smoked Salmon Potato Rosti Stacks
I’ve often written about my love of potatoes. Thinking back over my 30-something years, I am sure I have never come across a potato dish that I haven’t loved. From french fries to potato bakes, latkes to potato cakes, hasselbacks, potato skins, mashed, salad, soups – you name it, I love it.
“Surprisingly, these are only 370 calories a serving!”
And whether you know these as potato rostis or hash browns, these are my absolute favourite. Golden crunchy on the outside, moist and fluffy on the inside. Salty and greasy. Whoever invented the rosti/hashbrown deserves a Nobel Prize!
I consider this a bit of a treat because while there are always potatoes in my household, smoked salmon certainly isn’t on my weekly shopping list! You don’t need very much, just 100g/3 oz for 2 servings.
I serve this with a dollop of sour cream but it can also be served with creme fraiche. Or even a dollop of thick Greek yoghurt, or cream cheese with some lemon juice mixed in. You just want something creamy that has a touch of bite to it so it cuts through the richness of the rosti and smoked salmon.
And lastly, I have to say that I was really surprised when I ran the nutrition analysis and it came out at only 370 calories a serving. I checked and rechecked quantities and the calories contributed by each ingredient and it seems right.
So it’s not a total calorie blow out. Woo hoo! I’ll definitely be making this more often now! – Nagi x
More smoked salmon recipes
Smoked Salmon Dip – the dip version of the smoked salmon spread
Smoked Salmon Potato Rosti Stack
- 1 lb / 500 g potatoes (2 large or 3 medium) (see note 1 for potato type)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 oz / 100g Smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Dill to garnish (optional)
- Microwave the potatoes (unpeeled, whole) for 1 1/2 minutes on high, turn then microwave for a further 2 minutes. Or boil the potatoes for 5 minutes. The potatoes should be uncooked in the middle.
- Use a dishcloth to hold the potatoes and peel the skin off. I find it easiest to do this with a butter knife.
- Use a cheese grater and grate the potato.
- Add butter, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan over medium high heat.
- Scoop up 1/4 cup of potato mixture and use an egg flip to lightly pack the potato into the measuring cup. Then place into the pan and lightly pat down with an egg flip to make the rosti about 1 cm / 1/3" thick. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Cook until each side is golden brown - around 1 1/2 - 2 minutes for each side.
- Remove from fry pan.
- To serve, stack 3 rostis on each plate, top with smoked salmon, a dollop of sour cream and dill.