A fabulous strawberry dessert recipe that’s quick and easy to prepare! This self-saucing Strawberry Crumble is made with a load of fresh strawberries and topped with a streusel-like crumbly topping. That strawberry syrup is just incredible – and the smell is outrageous!
As regular readers know, I have the self control of a child when I spy bargains of my favourite fruit & veg. So every now and then, I go on a bender of whatever it is that I’ve overloaded on.
A few weeks ago it was broccoli (evidence -> all my Broccoli Recipes) and cabbage (hence the Chinese Chicken Salad and Everyday Cabbage Salad I recently posted). Last week, it was corn (nothing made it here).
Currently, it’s strawberries. No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream from a couple of weeks ago. Today – Strawberry Crumble.
A GREAT, EASY STRAWBERRY DESSERT
I used to be massively short on strawberry dessert recipes. With all the cooking shows I watch, all the magazines I flick through, all the cookbooks I browse, I just don’t really recall coming across recipes that caught my eye that truly celebrated strawberries.
Plenty where they were lined up neatly on tarts, or used as token decorations.
But that’s not what I was after. I wanted recipes that used loads of strawberries.
Anyone else had similar thoughts???
So in recent years, I’ve embarked on strawberry benders and am slowly but steadily building up an arsenal of fresh strawberry dessert recipes. This Strawberry Crumble is the latest addition.
Recipes like this make me so glad that I’ve learned how to make recipe videos because no photo could capture the amazing vision of the bright red syrup bubbling along the edges when you pull this out of the oven.
And then that moment when I crack through the golden nubbly topping and scoop it up…and you cop an eyeful of those plump strawberries dripping with that bright red syrup… and the smell! If only you could smell it!!!!
I apologise in advance if it’s not strawberry season where you are. The video is just going to be pure and utter torture for you. – Nagi x
More fresh strawberry desserts
- No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Upside Down Cake
- Easy Strawberry Bars
- Strawberry Cheesecake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries (3 ingredient dessert!)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Sundae Cakes
And more cosy warm desserts
- Apple Crumble – personal favourite!
- Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
- Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding
- Bread and Butter Pudding
- Magic Caramel Self Saucing Baked Apples
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 3/4 cup / 65g rolled oats / oatmeal (quick cooking is ok)
- 3/4 cup / 115g white flour , plain/all purpose
- 3/4 cup / 130 g brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp / 90g unsalted butter , melted
- 1 kg / 2 lb strawberries , ripe
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup / 70 - 110g white sugar (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream , dollop cream or custard
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place all ingredients except butter in a bowl. Mix to combine. Add butter and mix to incorporate.
- Hull / cut top off strawberries. Cut larger ones in half, leave small ones whole (2cm / 4/5" height).
- Place strawberries in bowl. Scatter over cornflour, toss well to coat evenly.
- Add sugar, water and vanilla. Mix well.
Assemble and bake:
- Pour strawberries into a baking pan (Note 2). Crumble over topping, using your fingers to get some nice crumbly chunks.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the Topping is deep golden and the strawberry syrup is bubbling up energetically all around the edges - see video, this is a key sign that the strawberry sauce has thickened sufficiently.
- Stand for a few minutes before serving with ice cream or your choice of topping.
* The strawberries will soften and some will break down, some will hold their shape better. That's just the way it is!
* It's really important to wait until you see syrup bubbling up all around the edges of the pan and the top is deep golden as this is the sign that the syrup has thickened adequately in the middle. Otherwise when you break into the crumble, you'll be greeted with a pool of water. IF THIS HAPPENS just put it back in the oven.
* The thickness of the syrup will vary from a perfect syrup consistency to chunky strawberry sauce-like. It just depends on the juiciness of the strawberries. Both are great. Also, it thickens as it cools. 3. Make ahead - Assemble crumble, cover and set aside (fridge if hot weather). Chop strawberries, store in airtight container. Then toss strawberries in cornflour, sugar, water, vanilla, and assemble crumble. DO NOT leave the strawberries sitting around coated in the sugar, it makes it sweat and soften too much. 4. Nutrition per serving, excludes ice cream.
LIFE OF DOZER
Don’t fall off your chair when I tell you – it turns out that Dozer loves Strawberry Crumble (with vanilla ice cream). 😂