You don’t need mayo for a terrific Potato Salad! The secret is to marinate the potato so it sucks up flavour. This Lemon Potato Salad is bright, zesty and well seasoned. Great warm, at room temp, on the day and the day after!
I realised it’s been far too long since I shared a potato recipe and had to rectify that immediately.
Plus I wanted to share something super simple after doing Biryani on Friday. There’s no doubt that one of the aspects that I love the most about my job is creating the more challenging recipes. The whole process from start to finish – starting with research, developing, testing it over and over again, photographing, filming, editing the video, reading and responding to comments and questions.
Let me clarify, “research” involves going to restaurants for taste testing. It’s a tough, tough gig….
BUT! The post taste testing part is actually quite hard work – so I need to share something super simple today to recover! ? So today’s recipe is a simple, bright, no-mayo Lemon Potato Salad.
MARINATE YOUR POTATOES!
There’s nothing more disappointing than biting into a generous sized piece of potato with any kind of dressing – mayo or non mayo – only to find the inside of the potato tastes of nothing more than unseasoned potato.
Solution: Douse your potatoes with dressing while hot. They act as a sponge and suck up all the flavour. It’s SO GOOD you almost don’t need to add any other dressing to it!
NO MAYO POTATO SALADS are in hot demand!
While I have a huge soft spot for the classic Creamy Potato Salad which is in great demand around holiday season, I make this no-mayo Lemon Potato Salad far more often throughout the year. It’s particularly in great demand by my friends, most of whom are anti-mayo for varying reasons.
There’s plenty of variations and add-in possibilities, I’ve shared a few in the recipe notes. Just don’t skip the marinating! I promise it’s worth it. ❤️ – Nagi x
PS I’ve called it a Lemon Potato Salad, and lemon flavour you shall get. It’s not the juice – that’s just sour. The lemon flavour is in the zest. So if you want a lemon flavoured potato salad, don’t skip the zest!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Lemon Potato Salad
- 1 kg / 2 lb baby potatoes (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp salt (for water)
- 1 cup green onions , sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley , finely chopped
- 5 tbsp / 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup / 65 ml lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (1 large lemon)
- 1 garlic clove, large, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Dressing: Shake in a jar.
- Halve so they are about 2.5cm / 1" pieces (cut large ones into 3).
- Bring 4 litres / 4 quarts water to the boil, add salt. Add potatoes, bring back up to the boil then reduce to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until just cooked - don't let them overcook or become too soft, they will keep cooking from residual heat.
- Drain and immediately transfer to a bowl.
- While potatoes are hot, pour over half the Dressing. Use rubber spatular to gently stir.
- Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes, even overnight.
- Add green onions and parsley, pour over remaining Dressing. Carefully toss with rubber spatular, then serve. Great warm or at room temperature, and it's also great the next day.
LIFE OF DOZER
Back to bounding around free at the park! That’s a smile you see on this face. 🙂 Under instructions for controlled off leash exercise though, so I had to take him somewhere without other dogs to tempt him. So this isn’t actually an off leash park…..