Tomato Bacon Pasta is a quintessential example of how to make a quick pasta dish that’s totally slurp-worthy with just a few ingredients. All you need is bacon, canned tomato, pasta and a few pantry staples!
Quick pasta recipes are a midweek lifesaver, and this tomato pasta recipe with bacon is a 15 minute meal that’s great as is but can be loaded with extras – like vegetables and chicken!
This is a quick pasta that’s made with a tomato pasta sauce and bacon. It’s a great way to turn some bacon into a quick dinner and you can fill it out with more vegetables if you so wish.
Here’s all you need:
- bacon (or pancetta, speck, chorizo, ham or sausage)
- a can of tomato
- olive oil, garlic and pasta
Toss the pasta in the sauce with a splash of pasta cooking water. This is how restaurants make even the simplest of pastas taste so amazing!
There is one secret to making pasta that makes all the difference: tossing the pasta in the sauce with a splash of the pasta cooking water on the stove. This thickens the sauce, making it stick to every strand of pasta so it all ends up in your mouth rather than a watery pool in the bottom of the pasta bowl.
And this is the way Italians have been making pasta ever since the dawn of time. It’s called emulsifying the sauce and if you’ll read about this in every pasta recipe I’ve published!
Quick pasta recipe
This is a really quick pasta recipe, making it a fabulous one for a busy weeknight. Especially if you’re feeling exceptionally lazy as I often am and you purchase pre-diced bacon. Sometimes it’s on special and it’s the same price as bacon slices, and I buy small portions of about 200g/8oz each and freeze them separately.
To complete your quick dinner, add a garden salad with a simple Balsamic Dressing. I like to make big batches of dressing and keep it in the fridge – it lasts for weeks! – Nagi xx
More really quick pasta dishes
- 8 quick and easy pasta recipes – pantry staples!
- One Pot Vegetable Pasta – cheesy and saucy, in a tomato sauce
- Pesto pasta – with fresh homemade pesto
- Creamy Tomato Pasta – the healthier way to get a creamy pasta fix
- Alfredo Salmon Pasta – and try this One Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta or Alfredo Salmon Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Prawn Pasta
- Sausage Pasta – quick to make, it’s like mini sausage meatballs in a tomato pasta sauce
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Bacon Tomato Pasta recipe video! Note the order of steps – start the saute with bacon, then add onion and garlic, then deglaze the skillet with pasta water (I do this specifically – to ensure I get all the flavour off the base of the skillet) before adding tomato. Also notice how when the pasta first goes in, there’s loads of sauce in the skillet but by the end, it’s all on the pasta!
Bacon Pasta with tomato pasta sauce
- 160 g / 5 oz spaghetti or other long strand pasta of choice
- 1 tsp olive oil (or butter)
- 150 - 180 g / 5 - 6 oz bacon , diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 onion , finely diced (brown, white, yellow)
- 400 g / 14 oz canned crushed tomato
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of sugar , if needed (Note 1)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chopped parsley
- Have the ingredients lined up and ready to start cooking at the same time.
- Bring a large pot of water to the bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Cook pasta according to packet but MINUS 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add bacon and cook for 1 minute, then add garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent and bacon is golden. Drain excess fat if desired.
- Scoop out a mug of pasta cooking water, then pour about 1/2 cup into the skillet. Bring to simmer and stir, scraping the skillet to dissolve in all the golden bits stuck on the pan into the liquid.
- Add tomato, bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes, then turn down to medium high.
- Drain pasta, or if you timed it right, use tongs to transfer it straight from the pot into the skillet.
- Toss gently using two wooden spoons for 2 minutes, or until the sauce is no longer sitting in the skillet, it's all on the pasta (see video). If it gets too thick, just add an extra splash of the pasta cooking water.
- Season with salt and pepper (remember bacon is salty!).
- Serve immediately, garnished with parmesan, parsley and final drizzle of olive oil if desired.
LIFE OF DOZER
Open car boot, gallops into pet shop goes straight to the counter, waiting expectantly for a treat. #Brat
? Our hearts are breaking for the city of Manchester and all those affected by the terrible events of yesterday.