Something a little different, the freshness of this bruschetta topping will knock your socks off! You will be surprised how different celery tastes when pureed with lemon juice and olive oil – it removes the “grassiness” of celery, making it incredibly light and refreshing. This is one of three bruschettas for a Trio of Bruschetta Spread
This Celery and Lime Bruschetta topping remains “undiscovered” but once you try it, you’ll definitely add it into your summer rotation. It’s a fantastic way to get a lot of healthy nutrition into you without even thinking twice about it, each slice has about 1 1/2 sticks of celery in it, but you would never guess.
While I do like celery, and I often serve it cut up into sticks alongside dip as a “healthy” snack, I get sick of it easily. It has a very distinct flavour, one that I describe as “grassy”. Pureeing it with lime and olive oil transforms it completely, and becomes a softer flavour that is just pure freshness. I was really surprised how good it was, I have to admit I was a bit dubious!
This is a recipe from Michela Chiappa’s Simply Italian, though I have amended it because I found that the original recipe which calls for 4 sticks of celery only makes enough for just over 2 pieces of bread and it is really oily, using 6 tablespoons of olive oil for 4 sticks of celery – that worked out to be 3 tbsp per piece of bread!
This is one of 3 bruschetta recipes in my Trio of Bruschetta Spread:
A Bruschetta Spread is a great starter or light meal for guests because you fill bowls with Bruschetta toppings alongside a pile of grilled bread and let your guests serve themselves.
This is a great summer recipe that’s super fast to make!!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Trio of Bruschetta: Celery and Lime Bruschetta
- 4 slices of good quality crusty bread like sourdough or ciabatta , sliced 1cm/0.5" thick, preferably slightly stale
- 1 garlic clove , halved (unpeeled)
Celery and Lime Topping
- 6 large sticks of celery
- 1 garlic clove , peeled
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt , plus more to taste
- Black pepper
- Preheat a griddle pan or barbecue (grill side, not hotplate side) on high.
- Place bread on the barbecue or griddle pan, and cook each side until nicely toasted and golden brown with char lines. You can also toast the bread in a toaster or grill/broil.
- Remove from heat and rub the surface of the bread lightly with the garlic.
Celery and Lime Topping
- Cut 5 1/2 of the celery sticks into chunks (about 4 cups) and place into food processor with remaining ingredients and whizz until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dice the remaining 1/2 celery stick. Stir into the celery puree.
- Spread topping onto bread. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment