Most of the recipes on my blog are pretty sensible meals. But occasionally I have a brain implosion and I can’t help experimenting with some outrageously indulgent creations. This is one such creation! For breakfast or dessert, this is dangerously easy to make. It’s simply a a sandwich with Nutella and marshmallows, dipped in ordinary french toast egg mixture then pan fried until golden. Toppings are optional….ok, not really. You must!
I have a secret obsession with S’mores. Strange for an Aussie-Japanese who has never lived in the US. I was only introduced to S’mores last year, but ever since then, I’ve always had a stash of marshmallows in my pantry so I can get a S’mores fix in various forms whenever I get the urge – without a campfire. Typically, I just sandwich marshmallows between graham crackers with a piece of chocolate, wrap with foil and heat in the oven until the marshmallow and chocolate are melted. I have also been known to do this in the microwave. I’ve also experimented with S’mores Spring Rolls (didn’t work so great), S’mores Triangles (also a flop) and S’mores Burritos (not bad! Might share this another time), to name a few.
This is the most extreme S’mores fix in my rotation. I wish I could tell you it was secretly healthy or tell you it’s actually a power food, but sadly no. It’s just pure indulgence and there’s nothing healthy about it at all. But it is oh-so-enjoyable. It is so worth the calorie credits to consume a mouthful of this pile of S’mores heaven.
This is deceptively and dangerously easy to make. You simply smear Nutella on bread (generously), then sandwich it with halved marshmallows, dip in egg/milk mixture and cook it like normal french toast. Then because you’ve already blown your calorie credits you may as well go all out and top it with your favourite chocolate sauce and more marshmallows.
You’ve worked hard this week, go on, you deserve a treat this weekend!
More cute spins on French Toast
We all love classic French Toast – but sometimes it’s nice to try something different!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
S'mores French Toast
- 4 slices white sandwich bread , preferably stale
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 16 marshmallows , halved horizontally
- Chocolate sauce
- Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish large enough to lay the bread in.
- Spread Nutella on all 4 slices of bread. Generously!
- Place marshmallows on 2 of the pieces of bread, with the sticky side of the marshmallows (ie. the cut side) facing up.
- Heat butter in pan over medium high heat. (See notes)
- Take the bread with the marshmallows on them and quickly dip the bottom side of the bread (ie. the side without the Nutella and marshmallows on it) into the egg mixture, then place into the pan.
- Dip the remaining two slices of bread into the egg mixture (the side without Nutella on it) and place on top of the marshmallow topped bread in the pan, to form a sandwich (ie. The side with the Nutella on it should be placed onto the marshmallows and the side you dipped into the egg mixture should face up so when you flip, it will be cooked).
- Press down lightly with a spatula to help disperse the heat through to the centre of the sandwich to melt the marshmallows. Don't press too hard - I made that mistake once and most of my marshmallows oozed out the side into the pan.
- When the bottom is golden brown (about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes), flip and cook the other side until golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Don't worry if the marshmallows aren't oozing out the side when you finish cooking, they will continue to melt from the heat in the sandwich. But they should be very soft - just touch one and you'll be able to tell if it's melted and gooey inside.
- Serve immediately, topped with extra marshmallows and chocolate sauce, if you wish.
Leave a Comment