This is a super easy, fresh and authentic Restaurant Style Salsa, the perfect consistency for scooping up with corn chips. It takes minutes to whizz together (or make it in a mortar and pestle). So much cheaper, healthier and tastier than store bought!
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (white, brown or yellow)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped jalapeño pepper (fresh or canned)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Couple of grind of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice (fresh)
- 2 tbsp chipotles in adobo (for spiciness, optional)
- 1/4 cup (packed) roughly chopped coriander
- 400g / 14 oz can crushed tomato
Place half the can of tomatoes into a small food processor or blender.
Add all the other ingredients except the coriander.
Whizz until smooth.
Add the coriander and remaining half tin of tomatoes.
Whizz until desired consistency (I like mine to have a few chunks rather than being a complete puree, hence adding the tomatoes in 2 separate lots)
Adjust to your taste with extra salt and lime juice.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.