Everything tastes better in miniature form! These are made using wonton wrappers as the cups. They bake crispy and golden with just a light spray of oil. A great shortcut for appetizers!
Because I had leftover ingredients from the Chicken Caesar Salad I shared earlier this week, I decided to use them up by making little bite size versions. Caesar Salad overload? Never! Especially not when you transform them into these cute little cups.
I love bite size food not only because they’re cute, but also because you don’t need crockery or utensils (very attractive for someone who doesn’t have a (working) dishwasher). Plus the other big benefit of this recipe is that you can prepare all the elements in advance – including the wonton cups which stay crispy for days in an airtight container. Then on the day, you simply toss all the caesar salad ingredients in a bowl and spoon into the wonton cups.
I’ve tried salads in cups before. What I found is that salads in vinaigrette or similar watery dressings don’t really work that well. You need a salad with a thick dressing so the salad stays together and doesn’t fall out when you take a bite. Caesar salad is perfect because the dressing holds everything in the cup with each bite.
And you know how the best part of caesar salads are the crunchy croutons? Well, you get even more crunch with these cups! Perfect crunch to greens ratio if you ask me.
Signing off, keeping this post short and sweet because I think I dribbled on enough about Caesar Salad earlier this week! Love to hear if you give this a go! Why not save it into your RecipeTin app so it’s in your pocket and you can whip it out anytime you want even without an internet connection?
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 2½ cups cos/romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1½ bacon rashers, diced
- ¼ cup bread, diced finely (preferably stale)
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional - for garnish)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably whole egg
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Milk, to adjust consistency
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Fit the wonton wrappers into each hole of a standard size muffin / cupcake tin (not mini and not Texas muffin tins!). Spray the wontons lightly with olive oil. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Heat a small non stick pan over high heat. Spray with oil, add bacon and sauté until crispy, then remove and drain on absorbent paper towel.
- Return pan to stove, reduce heat to medium high and spray pan with oil. Add finely diced bread. Shake pan (or stir) to brown evenly. Remove mini croutons from pan, scatter over a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Place Dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. If it seems too thick, use a tiny splash of milk to adjust the consistency.
- Place cos lettuce, chicken and bacon in a bowl with 6 to 8 tbsp of dressing (depending on how much dressing you want to use) and toss gently to combine.
- Divide the salad between the wonton cups, top with croutons, a pinch of parmesan and a sprinkle of parsley.
- Serve immediately.