Mini Pizza Potato Skins – one bite baby potato skins with a pepperoni pizza topping! Great appetiser to pass around at parties that you can prepare ahead then just pop into the oven when you’re ready to serve.
We love the classic Cheese and Bacon Crispy Potato Skins, but anything pizza flavoured is always a winner!
I love pizza and I love potato (oh – and cheese), so it was inevitable that I would do a mash up of the two. I’ve made pizza potato skins in the past using full size potatoes, but I found that there was too much pizza sauce and cheese required to fill the potato skin (because the scooped out potato bowl is quite deep). So I like making them using baby potatoes because you get a good potato / pizza sauce / cheese / topping ratio.
In Australia, we call baby potatoes Chat Potatoes. They are about the size of a golf ball and are great for roasting and using in salads. I am reliably informed by my friend Meggan from Culinary Hill that baby potatoes are called New or Salad potatoes in America. Basically, any small potato will work for this recipe. Or large. You choose. 🙂
These are quite fast to make if you do it “my way” and cook the potatoes in the microwave first, then bake them briefly in a cranked up oven to get the skin crispy. Scooping out the potato is a breeze because one scoop of a teaspoon is all it takes. Then fill them with pizza sauce, top with cheese and whatever other toppings take your fancy. I just kept it simple and popped on a few mini pepperoni slices.
“Each time I scooped potato out of the skin, I kept accidentally eating it. I really need to get to a Potato-holics Anonymous meeting.”
One of the (many) reasons I love making these when entertaining is because you can assemble it ahead then just pop it into the oven when you’re ready to serve. They take just over 5 minutes to heat through and for the cheese to melt. I do find that the skin isn’t quite as crispy as when you make them fresh, but that’s a small sacrifice to make for the convenience of being able to have these ready to go.
For those in the US, you have the benefit of being able to buy pre sliced mini pepperoni. For us poor sods in Australia, we have to slice it up ourselves. You can buy mini pepperoni sticks at the deli counter in Coles and Woolworths. Or just buy normal pepperoni and dice it up. I actually prefer to do this most of the time because the large pepperoni has a stronger flavour.
I haven’t been able to stop popping these in my mouth as I write up this post. I better sign off so I can pack them away before I demolish the whole plate!
Mini Pizza Potato Skins
- 8 baby potatoes , about the size of a golf ball (chat, new or salad potatoes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil , or oil spray
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce , preferably homemade (see notes)
- 1 cup grated melting cheese (I used mozzarella. Tasty, cheddar, gruyere and swiss would also also well)
- 48 pieces mini pepperoni slices (see notes)
- Finely chopped parsley , to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220C/430F.
- Prick each potato 2 to 3 times with a fork. Spread them out evenly around the edge of the microwave turntable (or in a circle for microwaves without a turntable). Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Turn potatoes over then microwave for a further 2 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove from microwave.
- Cut each potato in half, then use a teaspoon to scoop the filling out, leaving a thin layer of potato.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray, skin side up.
- Brush with olive oil (or spray) then sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Bake skins for 10 minutes or until the skin is browned and a bit crispy.
- Turn the grill (broiler) on.
- Flip the potato skins over so the bowl side is facing up.
- Fill each potato skin with about 1 1/2 tsp of pizza sauce, then top with grated cheese.
- Place 2 to 3 pepperoni's on each, then place under the grill (broiler) for 3 to 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pepperoni is just starting to brown.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve immediately.