Making a marinade that doubles as a dressing is one of my tricks for making easy midweek meals. Like this chicken which uses the same base mixture for the marinade as well as drizzling over the zucchini!
Hands up who loves Italian flavours! I was going to say “hands up who loves Italian food!” but I have no idea if this is authentic and I was sure someone would write in to inform me that it isn’t!
So there is no way I’m declaring this to be authentic but the ingredients in the marinade really drive home the Italian-esque flavours of this chicken. And it’s simple which Italian food often is, because it’s about quality ingredients simply prepared to create amazing food.
Did you know that most salad dressings also make great marinades? Not creamy ones. But thinner ones, like vinaigrettes, make fantastic marinades. This chicken is marinated in what is essentially a salad dressing. I use most for the chicken, then the remainder for the zucchini side salad.
Saves TIME with compromising on FLAVOR!
I’m really into grilling at the moment which is weird because it’s the middle of winter in Sydney. Though mind you, winter here is 18C/64F with clear blue skies and no biting winds. Hard, hard life we lead here!
The real reason I’ve started grilling more is because I am so sick of washing up. I don’t have a dishwasher. Have I told you that before? I don’t! I know it sounds ridiculous, but the layout of the kitchen is weird (and small). So it’s either a dishwasher or storage, and I choose storage.
Plus, I love the charcoal flavours.
Plus, grilling lets me pretend it’s still summer.
Doesn’t this simple, scrumptious, fast dinner just scream of summer to you?
– Nagi x
PS I know I’ve repeatedly dribbled on about grilling but it goes without saying that this is super yum made on the stove too!
- 4½ tbsp white wine vinegar (Note 1)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1.5 lb / 750g (around 6 pieces) chicken thigh fillets, skinless and boneless (Note 2)
- 2½ tsp mixed Italian dried herbs (either a packet mix or mix herbs like basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary and thyme)
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 zucchinis, finely sliced into rounds using a mandolin
- 2 tbsp baby mint leaves, or 1 tbsp sliced larger mint leaves
- Place the Dressing Marinade ingredients in a small jar and shake well to combine.
- Put the Marinated Chicken ingredients in a bowl or ziplock bag and add 5 tablespoons of the Dressing Marinade. Massage / mix to coat the chicken. Set aside for marinade for at least 20 minutes, ideally 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil (from the Zucchini Side ingredients) into the jar with the remaining Dressing Marinade and shake well. Set aside.
- Grill/BBQ: You shouldn't need any oil, but if you are concerned, brush your grill with oil. Heat the grill on medium high and cook the chicken for around 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Stove: Preheat ½ tbsp oil in a large non stick fry pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook each side for around 4 to 5 minutes, or until dark golden brown and cooked through.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill/fry pan onto a plate, loosely cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Toss the zucchinis and mint with the Dressing Marinade.
- Serve the chicken with the zucchini salad and toasted bread.
2. This can be made with breast fillets too, but just be careful with the cooking time as you don't want to overcook it. Dry chicken breast is not pleasant!
Nutrition per serving assuming 4 servings.