This filling Mexican Avocado Chicken Salad has all the essentials of a really great salad – it’s jam packed with fresh, vibrant flavours, big, creamy chunks of avocado and irresistible Mexican grilled chicken.
It’s like a giant salad version of Mexican Avocado Salsa – with the addition of chicken to complete the meal! To fill it out even more, try it with a side of Easy No Yeast Flatbreads, a southwest Cowboy Rice Salad or try some of these amazing easy No Knead Bread Rolls.
Avocado Chicken Salad – with Mexican flavours!
I’ve had a Giant Salad* almost everyday for the past month or so. Hopefully it’s more than just a phase and it becomes just a natural part of my lifestyle – that I crave a salad instead of pasta. Or cupcakes piled high with the fluffiest ever buttercream frosting. Or fall apart lamb shanks. Or cheese or potatoes in any shape or form.
OK. So that vision I painted of a holier-than-thou, new clean eating me is completely unrealistic. You know it, my mother knows it, and everyone who knows me knows it!
Having said that, this is Avocado Chicken Salad is something that even non-salad-craving people like myself will love because it’s big, filling, interesting and packed full of flavour.
* The official definition of Giant Salad: flavour packed salads that are satisfying enough to have as a meal. No wimpy salads in my world!!
Loaded with all things Mexican
I call this Avocado Chicken Salad a Mexican Salad because it’s loaded with all things Mexican:
Mexican marinated grilled chicken;
Avocado Tomato Corn Salsa; and
Fresh lime coriander/cilantro dressing
All piled up over crisp lettuce leaves.
So just to be clear, it’s not a traditional Mexican salad. It’s a big, fat, satisfying salad that’s packed with fresh Mexican flavours!
Triple duty dressing and marinade
This Avocado Chicken Salad recipe uses a neat trick where the lime coriander/cilantro dressing does triple duty as:
the dressing for the salad;
dressing for the salsa; and
marinade for the chicken.
This technique of a dressing doing double or triple duty is a highly effective technique I’ve been doing for as long as I can remember. I’m such a fan of it that it was the first theme I asked to do when I used to do regular features in Super Food Ideas magazine!
With all the things going on in this Avocado Chicken Salad, it’s a satisfying salad for dinner or lunch. Lots of nutrition, protein from the chicken, creaminess from the avocado, great textures, and a fresh dressing that’s anything but dull.
If you want to add some carbs, try this with a side of Easy Homemade Flatbreads, add some lime rice (use this Lemon Rice recipe, just switch the lemon with lime), Cowboy Rice Salad, or make some of these easy No Knead Soft Bread Rolls.
Pack this up for lunch simply by assembling the salad and keeping the dressing separate. Make all your co workers jealous! – Nagi xx
Watch how to make it
Mexican Avocado Chicken Salad recipe video!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Mexican Avocado Chicken Salad
Lime Dressing / Marinade:
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil (65ml)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp salt + black pepper
- 2 small chicken breasts, 400g/14oz (pound or split if thicker than 2cm / 4/5”)
- 1/2 tsp EACH chipotle powder (Note 1) and oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, chunky dice (watch video to see how I do this)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup corn kernels (canned, drained)
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander / cilantro, finely chopped
- 5 heaped cups cos / romaine lettuce, cut into bite size pieces
- Place Lime Dressing ingredients in a jar, shake well.
- Put 2 tablespoons of Dressing in a ziplock bag. Add chipotle, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper, mix/squidge bag. Add chicken, seal and massage to coat. Marinate 30 min – overnight.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium low, cook chicken to taste (2cm / 4/5” takes around 8 minutes), getting a nice brown crust on it. Rest 5 min then slice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coriander into Dressing, shake.
- Place avocado, corn, tomato and onion in a bowl. Add remaining coriander, drizzle with a bit of Dressing, toss gently.
- Place lettuce in a bowl, drizzle with a bit of Dressing, toss.
- Assemble Salad: Place lettuce on a serving platter. Top with Salsa and sliced chicken. Drizzle with remaining Dressing. Serve.
First published May 2017, post refreshed May 2018 - no changes to recipe.
MORE CHICKEN SALADS YOU’LL LOVE
More giant Salads for Meals
Life of Dozer
When Dozer gets booted out of the house….. (and the reason the window isn’t closed is because he’d beat the glass with this heavy paws)
Leave a Comment