Party food that travels well and can be prepared ahead!
Wonton wrappers are my shortcut party food tip. They are the perfect size to mould into muffin tins to bake into cups, then you can fill them with whatever sweet or savoury filling takes your fancy. No cutting rounds out of pastry!
You can get wonton wrappers in supermarkets nowadays – in the refrigerated section, usually near fresh pastas. To make cups, you just need to pop them into a muffin tin and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until crispy. You don’t even need any oil spray to stop them from sticking to the muffin tin or to make them bake golden! It really doesn’t get any easier than that. 🙂
They stay nice and crispy for around 3 days. Just let them cool then pop them into an airtight container, ready for your party.
These ones I’m sharing today are filled with Thai Chicken Salad – an all round crowd pleaser, and something a little different to the usual creamy dips. It’s light and refreshing, but has a nice zingy dressing.
I prepare the components ahead – the cups, salad and dressing. Then just before serving, toss the salad in the dressing and spoon into the cups. The salad isn’t soaked with excessive dressing so it doesn’t make the bottom of the cup soggy. To be honest, these don’t usually last that long when I put them out but when I was photographing them, I had them sitting around for about 1 hour and they were still fine. The base of the cups were a bit soft, but there is so much crunch from the sides that it didn’t bother me at all.
Hope you enjoy! – Nagi
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 garlic, smashed (Note 1)
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2½ tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp canola oil (or grape seed, vegetable or other neutral flavoured oil)
- 1 tsp sugar (or honey)
- 1 - 2 birds eye chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (or 1 - 2 tsp of chili paste or hot sauce)
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken (I used poached chicken breast)
- 1½ cups finely shredded cabbage
- ¾ cup carrot, finely julienned
- ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots/scallions (or sub with red onion or eschallots)
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 160C/320F.
- Place wonton wrappers into a regular muffin tin, moulding it into the cups. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp and light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the cups cool in the muffin tin. Store in an airtight container until required (stays crisp for up to 3 days).
- Combine Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Combine Chicken Salad ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine.
- To serve: Discard the garlic clove from the Dressing, then toss it through the Chicken Salad. Divide the Chicken Salad between the cups. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro/coriander, if using. Serve immediately.
2. The cups are best assembled just prior to serving.