Chicken burgers can be so bland and boring. Not these! Made with ground chicken (mince), parmesan, garlic and a hint of dried sage, you’ll love how these chicken burger patties are juicy on the inside with crispy golden edges.
Loaded onto soft toasted buns with a generous scoop of creamy avocado, this may well be the burger of your dreams! (Great for grilling on the BBQ)
Chicken burgers have a bad reputation for being bland and dry, perhaps because of the very fact that they do appear on menus as the healthier option to gutsy beef burgers.
Flavourless patties, underseasoned, overcooked, dry, jammed in a burger bun with equally unexciting burger toppings.
NOT IN MY WORLD!!!
These ground chicken burgers are loaded with flavour from parmesan, garlic and sage powder (the secret ingredient!). They’re golden on the outside, juicy on the inside, and no one could EVER accuse these of being bland!!!
The quicker way to make Chicken Burgers is with a seasoned chicken breast. The BETTER way is with chicken mince – you can get more flavour in it!
What you need for juicy Chicken Burger Patties
Here’s what you need to make these wickedly delicious chicken mince burgers.
Just a few notes on some of the items:
Ground chicken (mince) – the flavourings in the chicken patties work equally well with turkey or pork.
Parmesan adds great flavour into the patties. It doesn’t make it taste cheesy, it adds umami(which is the food-tech term for savoury-ness).
Sage is the herb flavouring in these chicken patties. It adds an earthy flavour that really gives these chicken burgers the edge! If you don’t have or can’t find ground sage, thyme is a terrific alternative, OR using celery salt in place of ordinary salt.
How to make chicken burgers with ground chicken
Nothing ground breaking here, but still useful to have a visual I think!
Mix up the chicken pattie ingredients, shape into patties.
Pan fry or BBQ until golden, plonk cheese on and cover with lid to melt.
Smush on a generous load of avocado, top with chicken pattie, lettuce, tomato.
Smear lid with mayo, relish, ketchup or other burger sauce of choice, then place on burger.
Devour and be happy!
Avocado all the way!
I’ve used a generous smearing of avocado in this recipe to make the whole eating experience juicier. I feel like avocado brings the whole burger together, making everything meld together so nicely!
But actually, today’s recipe is more about the chicken burger pattie itself, so feel free to go wild with other burger toppings. Never let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn’t put on your burger! Here are some suggestions:
Pan fried onions
Hot chips (oh yes!!)
– Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Avocado Chicken Burgers
Chicken Burger Patties:
- 500g/ 1.2 lb ground chicken (mince) (Note 1)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup parmesan , finely grated (Note 2)
- 1 cup green onion , finely sliced (~2 stems)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp dried sage (Note 3)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper , each
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 soft burger buns or brioche buns
- 1 avocado (big!) (or 2 medium)
- 60g / 2 oz rocket / arugula or other lettuce of choice
- 2 tomatoes , sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (or other cheese)
- Mayonnaise, relish, ketchup or tomato sauce (to smear lid)
Chicken Burger Patties
- Place Pattie ingredients in bowl, mix well with hands.
- Form 4 patties, 1.5cm / 3/5″ thick, slightly larger than the buns (shrinks slightly). If mixture is super sticky (Note 4), either refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes, or wet hands or lightly spray hands with oil (I do this).
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add patties, working in batches. Cook for 2 minutes or until deep golden, then flip.
- After 1 minute, top with a piece of cheese and place lid on to melt cheese.
- Once cheese is melted, remove patties from skillet.
- Split buns and lightly toast in oven or under broiler/grill.
- Cut avocado in half, scoop out a generous amount then “smash” it on the base of the bun with a fork. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with Chicken Pattie, then rocket/arugula and tomato.
- Smear the top bun with mayonnaise (or relish, ketchup, other condiment of choice) and place lid on bun.
- Devour and be happy!
I love a good, juicy burger! Evidence:
The most amazing Veggie Burgers!
Quick Crispy Seasoned Chicken Burgers
Life of Dozer
Can’t think of a better way to spend a lazy Saturday morning.
PS I’m reading Luke Nguyen’s Asian Street Food cookbook, and yep, that’s Dozer drooling licking his lips over the photos!!!