Coated with a thick, crunchy coating of parmesan and garlic breadcrumbs, this is one crumbed fish that everyone is sure to love. Using this recipe, you’ll get a perfect golden crust and perfectly cooked fish every time. And the clincher? It’s on the table in just over 10 minutes. (Oh, and only 260 calories)
I am obsessed with this fish. It is insanely delicious, and it’s crazy that it only takes 15 minutes to make – closer to 10 minutes really, truth be told. The crumb mixture is so delicious I eat the leftovers straight out of the bowl. I like to use panko because the crumbs are larger than ordinary breadcrumbs which makes the crumb so much crunchier and thicker.
The way I cook this fish is a little unorthodox but there’s logic behind my madness! I pan fry the fish very briefly (1 1/2 minutes) on the bottom only, then broil/grill it for 5 minutes – this cooks the top half of the fish and makes the crumbs perfectly golden and the residual heat from the pan continues to cook the bottom half of the fish. The added bonus is that it cooks faster. The usual rule of thumb for the cooking time for fish is 10 minutes per inch of thickness (measured at the thickest part of the fish), whereas in this recipe a 1 inch thick fillet cooks in 6 1/2 minutes.
My secret for perfectly golden crumbs is to mix olive oil into the crumb mixture and to broil/grill it rather than baking it – the closer contact to the heat source makes the crumb wonderfully golden without overcooking the fish. When I made this fish just by baking it, the crumb was not as golden and if I left it in for longer to make it golden, the fish would be overcooked.
This is a fantastic recipe to add to your mid week meal rotation! I served it with a simple salad of rocket with a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon, and my Garlic White Bean Mash In A Flash.
Healthy Parmesan Garlic Crumbed Fish
- 2 firm white fish fillets (about 5 oz / 150g each), skin off, at room temperature
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parmesan (grated)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat grill / broiler on high (400F/200C).
- Combine the Crumb ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Season each fillet with salt and pepper, then spread the mustard on the top of each fillet.
- Press the crumb mixture onto the mustard on each fillet. Press down firmly to make it stick.
- Spray an oven proof fry pan (preferably non stick) with olive oil and place on stove over high heat.
- Place the fillets in the pan and cook for 1 1/2 minutes, then place under the grill / broiler (about 5"/15cm from the heat source) for 5 minutes.
- The fish is ready when the crumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.